Mux is building the future of online video infrastructure. We started off by building Mux Data, a best-in-class performance analytics tool that’s trusted by developers at companies like PBS, Vimeo, and the CBSi. Billions of monitored streams later, we launched Mux Video, a simple API to video hosting, encoding, and streaming. Take any video file or live stream and make it play beautifully at scale on any device, powered by magical-feeling features like automatic thumbnails, animated gifs, and data-driven encoding decisions.
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Accountant who is excited to grow as we do. Someone who is willing to handle the daily accounting tasks of a startup as part of a lean and scrappy team, but also eager to improve and mature our accounting practices as we scale. You’ll bring accuracy, efficiency, and excellence to our finance department.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage month-end financial close process, improving close schedule and ensuring timely and accurate financial statements, including consolidation/elimination of our two subsidiaries. This encompasses tasks from daily bookkeeping to month-end journal entries.
- Streamline financial operating model to measure key metrics and provide accurate projections for the executive team.
- Assist in annual budget planning across all departments.
- Represent the Mux team in an outward facing role, handling contractor and vendor relationships as you manage A/P and customer relationships as you manage A/R.
- Manage employee expenses, from fielding questions and processing reports to instituting expense policies and ensuring accurate booking by department.
- Tackle ad hoc special projects to help overall business needs on the Operations/Finance team.
Who You Are:
- You care about delivering excellent work on time.
- You are able to notice and call out financial trends that help the executive team make pro-active and data driven decisions.
- You want to support the team whether that means helping with an expense report or providing a detailed financial projection to a department head.
- You want to work in an exciting, fast paced environment where constant change is a given.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting (or equivalent) from a 4-year university required
- 3+ years of accounting and financial management experience, including consolidation of subsidiaries
- Expert-level knowledge of accounting software and related integrations (Xero preferred). Past experience with Netsuite migration a plus.
- Track record of working at startups is a plus. Ideally, you’ve been part of a small team during a growth phase.
- A supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance
- Salary + equity with perks like a 10-year exercise window
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Commuter benefits
- Cell phone service and device reimbursements
- Catered lunches, snacks, and good coffee
- Paid parental leave
- Flex PTO policy
- Long-term disability insurance
- Investment in career growth and training
We're working in a beautiful office space, just steps from Civic Center BART station, with catered lunches and a kitchen that's fully stocked with drinks and snacks.
Mux is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
LOCATION: Minneapolis or San Francisco