MURAL is on a mission to inspire and connect imagination workers globally.
MURAL is a digital workspace for visual collaboration that connects over 75 percent of the Fortune 100. Teams at global enterprises including IBM, USAA, E-Trade, Intuit, SAP, Atlassian, Autodesk, and GitHub embrace visual collaboration to run more productive meetings and workshops. This leads to a more creative, engaging, and fun way of working together, all in a welcoming, simple-to-use online space.
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, MURAL employs over 700 people around the world. MURAL is on a mission to level up teamwork with imagination so that working together is more fun and innovation happens faster. The MURAL® platform transforms teamwork by making meetings and workshops interactive experiences designed for problem solving, play, and imagination. MURAL has raised $200M in financing to date and is growing rapidly to fulfill its mission.
The Data Engineer Manager will be responsible for driving the roadmap of the Business Intelligence and Analytics Engineering team with the rest of the squads, as well as to serve as the liaison between our team and the business and product teams of MURAL at large. You must have a track record of hiring, mentoring and leveling up top-notch Data Engineering teams, as well as be familiar with relevant industry tools and architectures, such as AWS, Azure, Data Lakes, Data Meshes, ETL pipelines. As a manager, you will be expected to improve the development process, propose and implement methodological changes to the way we work.
The ideal candidate is passionate about both managing engineers and working with data, and is capable of challenging existing solutions and processes. They must be a team player, always willing to collaborate with others.
In this role, you will:
- Help maintain the roadmap, prioritize tasks, and make sure everyone in the team is working towards a clear goal.
- Channel requests by business and product teams, understand where they fit in the Data Analytics and Business Intelligence platform, and prioritize them.
- Understand the existing Data Platform capabilities in order to see how it can be used to help achieve business and product goals, and propose and drive requirements for improving the Data Platform capabilities for better serving business needs..
- Propose and develop pragmatic and non-bureaucratic methodologies that help the Business Intelligence and Analytics team deliver quality results in a timely manner.
- Enable visibility and accountability over the systems that enable our BI capabilities, ensuring they are always available and reliable.
- Make sure the achievements of the Data team are visible to the rest of MURAL.
- Work as part of a team. We value team players who share their knowledge and like collaborating with others.
- Provide your insight and knowledge about working with Data platforms and engineers.
- Mentor and coach the members of the team on their career paths and professional development.
As a manager you will not be implementing technical solutions directly, but your technical experience will help validate the solutions the team tackles. Knowledge of modern data platform architectures and solutions will be valued.
- 2+ years experience in a technical management role managing a Data Engineering team
- Previous hands-on Data Engineering experience
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, preferably a MS in Computer Science or Software Engineering or related field or someone who has the equivalent relevant experience
- Experience with agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow tools such as Airflow or Luigi
- Experience in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics platforms
- Experience with Data Visualization tools like Periscope, Sisense, Tableau or PowerBI
- Experience with leveraging Data Lakes, Data Meshes and Data Warehouses for meaningfully answering key product and business performance questions
- Data Architecture principles and reporting best practices
- Proficiency using JIRA or similar tool
- Knowledge of OKRs, KPIs or similar methodologies
- Experience with AWS (Redshift, Athena, Lambda)
- Advanced knowledge of relational databases such as PostgreSQL, and being capable of writing non-trivial SQL
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
Ideally you have...
- Experience with Big Data tools such as Spark and Amazon EMR
- Experience with message brokers and event streaming platforms such as Apache Kafka
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to being part of our quest to help people empower their imagination, we offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Flexible time off
- Professional development opportunities
- Learning stipend
- Wellness stipend
- MURAL free forever plan
- Design Thinking + Facilitation trainings
We bring people to our team that care about our mission to inspire and connect creative people globally, and who feel aligned with our values:
- Make others successful
- Adapt to thrive
- Play to wow
- Think global
- Experiment like an owner
Practicing equality through imagination work.
MURAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive workspaces where people can make a positive impact on the world and share their vision of how they achieve it. We are dedicated to working alongside multiple communities to help build this dream and bring it to life.