MURAL is on a mission to inspire and connect imagination workers globally.
MURAL is a digital workspace for visual collaboration that connects over 75 percent of the Fortune 100. Teams at global enterprises including IBM, USAA, E-Trade, Intuit, SAP, Atlassian, Autodesk, and GitHub embrace visual collaboration to run more productive meetings and workshops. This leads to a more creative, engaging, and fun way of working together, all in a welcoming, simple-to-use online space.
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, MURAL employs over 500 people around the world. In 2020, MURAL raised $118M in a series B round of financing and are working hard to take MURAL to the next level.
MURAL is looking for a Product & Privacy Counsel to provide legal advice to MURAL’s engineering and product management as we navigate rapidly evolving global laws and regulations in data, including data privacy, data protection and AI. As Product & Privacy Counsel, you will report to the VP of Legal and will work with the product marketing and communications teams to bring our transformative digital collaboration software to market. You will also serve as a subject matter expert in collaboration with our commercial legal team as we negotiate complex contracts with our customers worldwide, including data processing addendums.
In this role you will
- Maintain high level of expertise in global privacy and data protection laws, including GDPR and CCPA
- Assist the Legal and Compliance teams in efforts to enhance security and privacy by design
- Draft and update form agreements regarding products and services, and negotiate product, privacy and security related changes to customer contracts, including DPAs
- Deeply understand product and data risk issues to be able to hear and answer questions that aren't asked and translate technical and security concerns into answers understandable to non-technical lawyers and offer solutions for managing risk.
- Review marketing and other communications relating to product
- Provide cradle-to-grave product counseling - from ideation to end of life, including issues relating to licensing, open source, trademark, patent opportunities, communications, contracting/pricing, etc.
- Provide general legal support on a flexible, as-needed basis with respect to other areas of the business
- Work with potential vendors to understand data flows to determine privacy and data protection risk and negotiate modifications
- Contribute to help further the status of the legal department as an effective, respected, and valued resource within the company
- Minimum 4 to 7 years relevant legal experience at a top law firm and/or in-house, with minimum of 2 years focused experience in product, privacy or IP law
- Deep understanding of cloud and software technology, and a desire to work on legal issues in these areas
- Technical background -- either an engineering or hard science academic background, work experience, or significant life experience as a general technology enthusiast
- State bar membership
- Ability to prioritize and manage time, and client expectations, in the face of competing demands, often without direct guidance as we scale our rapidly expanding business
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to being part of our quest to help people empower their imagination, we offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Flexible time off
- Professional development opportunities
- Learning stipend
- Wellness stipend
- MURAL free forever plan
- Design Thinking + Facilitation trainings
We bring people to our team that care about our mission to inspire and connect creative people globally, and who feel aligned with our values:
- Make others successful
- Adapt to thrive
- Play to wow
- Think global
- Experiment like an owner
Practicing equality through imagination work.
MURAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive workspaces where people can make a positive impact on the world and share their vision of how they achieve it. We are dedicated to working alongside multiple communities to help build this dream and bring it to life.