About the role
Muon is looking for an Avionics FPGA Engineer to join our satellite and sensors development team. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated versatile FPGA engineer with significant previous experience developing radio FPGA DSP pipelines and associated hardware and software.
- Work with internal teams and external customers to push the limit of what’s possible in Earth sensing and in-satellite compute
- Be part of the team that defines Muon’s satellite communications, science radio, and sensing architectures
- Translate mission needs, concepts, and requirements into robust designs and detailed design documents
- Collaborate with Science, HW, and SW team members to to develop and bring up brand new spacecraft systems built around FPGAs
- Enable software-defined radio and imaging capabilities for Earth sensing
- Design signal processing pipelines, control logic, data routing fabric, data processing accelerators, and high-speed interfaces like multi gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, MIPI, and Camera Link
- Set best practices and design patterns in FPGA design and verification for the team
- Supervise and guide external engineering resources and vendors
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in electrical engineering, computer science, or related field
- 2+ years experience as an FPGA or ASIC engineer in a team environment
- System level perspective, understanding, and approach.
- Strong Verilog programming experience, with SystemVerilog experience desired
- Familiarity with internal device standards and modern design practices such as AXI and Network-on-chip
- Experience implementing and debugging high-speed digital communications (Multi-Gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, Aurora, JESD204B/C, Camera Link, MIPI, etc)
- Scripting to automate building, simulation, and testing FPGA designs
- Experience working in a linux development environment
- Unintimidated to build complicated computation and signal processing solutions from the ground up to a deadline.
- Read and understand reference texts and papers as well as HW datasheets.
- Excellent communication, technical writing, and presentation skills
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new challenges every week
- Genuine excitement to understand and solve planet wide environmental problems
- Knowledge of radio signals and standards such as GPS, DVB-S, GSM, LTE, etc, as well as understanding of communications theory.
- Experience with radio or imaging based science
- Good understanding of DSP and computer arithmetic at a logic design level.
- Understanding of networking protocols.
- Understanding of interfacing and processing data from image sensors
- Experience writing software defined radio solutions and working with GNURadio.
- Expertise in embedded firmware development in C/C++/Python
- Expertise using and configuring linux in SoC FPGA’s
- Experience with digital hardware design and/or RF circuit design
- Experience using Vivado in non-project design flows and Questa/Modelsim for simulation.
- History and enthusiasm as a user and contributor to open source initiatives.
- Previous experience working in the space or aerospace industry.
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, Boulder, and Seattle. We seek great talent wherever it may be.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is 100K-190K and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
This position requires access to export controlled information. To conform to U.S. Government export regulations applicable to that information, applicant must either be (A) a U.S. person, defined as a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (green card holder), (iii) refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, (B) eligible to access the export controlled information without a required export authorization, or (C) eligible and reasonably likely to obtain the required export authorization from the applicable U.S. government agency. The Company may, for legitimate business reasons, decline to pursue any export licensing process.