Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to make PR pros more successful by providing them with technology to find journalists to pitch, monitor media, quantify their impact and work more efficiently with their teams.
Self-funded, globally distributed, and growing quickly, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the best places to work in 2019, 2020, and 2021! We value resilience, transparency, ownership, and customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
Muck Rack is looking to hire our first Platform Engineer to bridge engineering and DevOps. You will work closely with the VP of Engineering, Matt Dennewitz, as well as the backend and devops teams on managing and scaling our app’s underlying platform and core services. This opportunity will have a lot of greenfield architecture opportunities.
What You’ll do:
- Straddle both coding and operations
- Work on backend architecture, developing and designing core services
- Develop and improve systems for monitoring, alerting and analysis to ensure site health
- Take on part of the responsibility for the operation of the application, delivery and high availability
What You’ll Need:
- 4+ years of professional experience with Python, MySQL, and AWS; including managing high traffic sites and scaling/managing large data platforms
- Experience with performance profiling, monitoring, and observability
- Ability to architect and design performant, scalable, and secure software that supports requirements of specific features
- Understanding of DevOps principles
- Knowledge of Celery or other task, streaming, or batch processing frameworks (e.g. Luigi, Spark, Airflow)
- Experience with Elasticsearch is a plus (especially if you’ve indexed and managed large volumes of data or have worked on a product heavily dependent on search)
- Experience with event streaming platforms like Kafka is a plus
- Experience in big data, horizontally scalable databases, NoSQL databases or columnar databases is a plus (e.g. Cassandra, Dynamo)
- Autonomous self-starter who functions well with high level direction
- Clear communicator with both technical and less technical stakeholders (verbally and in writing)
- High level of personal accountability
- Collaborative, with the ability to give and receive feedback and ask for help or support when necessary
- Logical problem solver
- Analytical systems-thinker who can also rely on intuition and experience
- Understands systems at a high-level but flexible and willing to jump into handle specific issues
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for our Platform Engineer role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- Complete our job application by submitting your resume, LinkedIn profile, & contact information
- A thirty-minute preliminary interview with a member of our Talent Team
- A one-hour video interview with the hiring manager for this position
- A take-home assessment that may take up to two hours to complete
- Two, thirty-minute interviews with members of our Engineering team
- A final thirty-minute code-review with our CTO and Staff Engineer
- 2-3 references calls & a background check
Based on the interview plan above, we expect this process to take approximately 3-4 weeks. This can depend on the availability of candidates and our hiring team. The start date for this role is flexible.
The starting salary for this role is between $140,000 - $170,000, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Benefits of Working at Muck Rack
- Geo-neutral approach to compensation, with competitive & equitable base salaries, plus a standardized bonus program*
- Fully distributed team, with work-from-home benefits and monthly co-working stipend
- Generous off-the-grid PTO, including paid parental leave, paid sick/mental health days, learning days, summer Fridays, and more
- We conduct bi-annual performance reviews, and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market
- Health, dental and vision insurance (100% paid by employer for individuals; 70% paid by employer for families)
- 401(k) plan with employer contributions*
- Access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, and a Flexible Spending Account*
- Discounted gym & bike memberships* and free Headspace account
- Unlimited subscription to Learning & Development platforms
- Virtual & in-person team bonding opportunities including free lunches, activities, & events
- Inclusive culture that listens to and welcomes diverse perspectives
- Self funded means we have the freedom to build forward-thinking products and put our customers first