Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to make PR pros more successful by providing them with technology to find journalists to pitch, monitor media, quantify their impact and work more efficiently with their teams.
Self-funded, quickly growing, and remote-first, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the best places to work in 2019 and 2020. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, and customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
To continue to scale our team and our internal operations, Muck Rack is looking for a proactive and highly organized Chief of Staff to work with our CEO to continue our rapid growth.
As our company’s first ever Chief of Staff, your primary mission will be to add structure and processes to the way we operate in order to improve strategic alignment and communications within the leadership team and across the company. You will get a bird’s eye view of business operations and use your unique vantage point to connect the dots across the entire organization. As a strategic thought partner, sounding board, and trusted confidante to the CEO, you will help inform strategy and key decision-making.
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the center of a quickly growing, self-funded, profitable SaaS business that is fundamentally improving and redefining how the Public Relations industry works. You’ll interact closely with the CEO and the entire management team but have considerable autonomy to innovate and achieve your goals as you see fit.
What you’ll do:
- Build operating systems to improve the CEO’s efficiency and effectiveness, including managing our company’s OKR process, quarterly leadership offsites, and key meeting agendas
- Help the CEO prioritize and maximize their time, including preparing for and attending meetings with or as a proxy for the CEO
- Hold the CEO and other team leaders accountable to completing tasks on time to achieve company goals, removing blockers and obstacles wherever possible
- Serve as the primary facilitator for company leaders and other employees by communicating wants, needs, concerns, and ideas effectively and efficiently to the CEO
- Keep your ear to the ground to surface, analyze and diagnose cross-departmental issues and help problem solve and develop solutions
- Write first drafts of key internal communications and prepare presentations on behalf of the CEO
- Take on ad hoc cross-functional projects and research as needed
- Act as a sounding board for new ideas and initiatives
You might be an ideal candidate for this role if you have:
- 5-10+ years professional experience
- An MBA, previous work as a management consultant or experience in a strategic and/or operational role at a high-growth SaaS startup with 150+ employees
- Exceptional written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Previous experience working cross-functionally and directly with C-Suite executives
- Interest in PR or passion for the media would be a bonus
You’ll likely be successful in this role if the following describe you:
- High EQ - you’re a natural leader who builds rapport and trust easily, has strong interpersonal skills, and can use your influence to lead from behind
- Extremely Organized - you’re attuned to details and highly process-driven; you’re the type of person that can manage multiple, complex work streams without missing a beat
- Results-Oriented - you’re ambitious, have high standards for excellence, and will figure out what you need to do to get things done!
- Adept Problem Solver - you’re analytical, solutions-oriented, and thrive in ambiguity; you can surface potential issues and mitigate them before they become big problems
- Self-Starter - you’re highly proactive and action-oriented; you anticipate what’s around the corner and figure out what needs to get done and how
- Reliable - you’re trustworthy and can be counted on to meet commitments, deadlines and goals
- Humble - you’re a team player who is willing to get into the weeds and operate primarily behind the scenes; at its core, this is a service role and your job is to help the CEO do their best work
Benefits of Working at Muck Rack
- Flexible remote-first company
- Off-the-grid vacation
- 401(k) plan with employer contributions
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, and an Employee Assistance Program
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- Discounted gym & bike memberships
- Opt-in disability and life insurance
- Subscription to Learning & Development platform
- Self funded means we have the freedom to build forward-thinking products and put our customers first
- Inclusive culture that listens to and welcomes diverse perspectives
Muck Rack encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process.