A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our outstanding corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.The Opportunity
Are you passionate about taking the mission of Mozilla and our products and turning it into a cohesive story that encourages others to join the Mozilla movement? Mozilla is looking for a strong Communications & PR manager who is responsible for getting our story out into the world! The ideal candidate knows how to identify the red thread or essence of our communications and make sure that it is a part of all of our earned media activations.
You bring a broad understanding of how to drive influence (press, key opinion leaders, partner organizations/brands) through various external channels. Most importantly, you can expand our reach and awareness in the world to ensure we’re not only showing up in tech and policy conversations, but in more mainstream channels as well.The Role
As a Communications & PR Manager, you will join at an exciting time to participate in the development of the European communications strategy for Mozilla, and lead media outreach for its product portfolio and policy initiatives! This may include EU and market-specific campaigns (creative stunts, partnerships and events) to support Mozilla values, and promote our portfolio and legislative work.
You will also handle proactive and reactive press requests and work with colleagues within Marketing to create strategic outreach initiatives to present the Mozilla story and products to wider audiences who share our vision of the future.
The position entails coordinated work with our US colleagues to support and develop global media opportunities, as well as our network of PR agencies, with a goal to tell our stories in creative and compelling ways.
An extensive PR background, as well as experience with integrated communications and creative visibility initiatives are required. Journalism background is a plus. This position will report to the Head of Communications, Europe.
As a Communications & PR Manager at Mozilla, you will be:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the overarching European communications strategy (DE, FR, UK and expanding)
- Create newsworthy opportunities for the company and portfolio to build and maintain influence in the respective markets
- Drive process, strategy, recommendations around all incoming media opportunities for the best possible result (turning reactive into proactive - this entails sophisticated cross team and agency support)
- Coordinate organization/updating of all press centers and press materials, statements/FAQs etc to team and spokespeople
- Help to maintain our announcement and thematic calendar, activity tracker, weekly SCVP report etc.
- Collaborate with the distributed team to identify trends and possible proactive pitches and predict reactive statements as needed
- Support our product and policy teams on major launches, product and corporate campaigns and activities
- Work with our partnership, community and event teams to build visibility momentum with internal and external partners
- 5+ years shown experience
- Excellent writing, organizational and social communication skills
- Strong ethics, attention to detail and a high standard of performance
- Prior experience in creative storytelling, media relations and development/implementation of integrated communication campaigns
- Mix of in-house, agency and media experience a plus
- Native proficiency of English is required, as well as knowledge of German and/or French
- Experience in building long-lasting initiatives, working with open source communities, policy, consumer technology and/or developer communities a plus
We are looking forward to a team member we can grow with and learn from! Mozilla is an equal opportunity employer.
Req ID: R1950