MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) is a new, wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation which runs the Thunderbird project. Thunderbird is a global, free, and open source email client that has grown significantly since its launch 10+ years ago! The project is governed by its community, which means that strategic and other high-level decisions are publicly discussed and decided upon by the elected Thunderbird Council. Thunderbird has grown in donations, staff, and aspirations over the last years. It is looking to mature and expand its business practices to ensure future operational success. This new role is an opportunity for a talented engineer who is excited to build and deploy mobile applications, all to support Thunderbird’s ongoing growth.
Thunderbird is looking for a multi-skilled self-starter to work on our Thunderbird Android app (currently called K-9 Mail). You will be working closely with our lead K-9 developer and our Product and Business Development manager to help shape the future of Thunderbird’s Android offering. This is a remote, full time position. You are expected to have excellent written communication skills and coordinate your work over email, video conferencing, Matrix, Slack, Github and Bugzilla.
What you’ll get to do:
- Work on all aspects of the app, from the UI down to the underlying architecture, to help build, debug and ship a native Android user experience.
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, tackle problems with no clear solution, collaborate with other engineers and designers as part of a global, distributed open source development team. This will involve technical decision making, code reviews (receiving and giving), engagement with contributors, planning and other collaborative practices.
- Participate in decisions influencing the future of Thunderbird’s mobile platform.
- Work directly with users and contributors to gather information to reliably reproduce bugs and then fix them.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, support teams, and the community to create a best-in-class product experience for Thunderbird Android users.
- Become a valued member of a diverse and geographically distributed team working with a global user community.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 2+ years of relevant, professional experience building high quality Android applications with Java or Kotlin.
- Knowledge of the Android SDK.
- A passion for investigating and squashing bugs.
- Solid fundamentals of programming best practices (coding, code reviews, automation, unit testing).
- The ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment to deliver well-designed, reusable, and high-quality code.
- Interest in and ability to work with a distributed team (requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills).
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical people, with a deep respect for the different skills that people bring.
- A user-centered approach, with a keen interest in collaborating with and serving a community’s needs.
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with unit testing
- Experience reading and interpreting IETF RFCs
- Previous open source engagement
We offer the following benefits:
- 24 paid time off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company/public holidays + year-end shutdown
- Remote work set-up - latest hardware + internet reimbursement
- Health, dental, and vision insurance (employer-sponsored US; government programs in other locales)
- Professional development opportunities
- Other insurance (varies by geography)
- Retirement plan contributions (US/Can only or as required by law)
- Maternity and parental leaves (varies by geography)
- Other legally required benefits (varies by geography)
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of MZLA Technologies Corp.
Applicants must reside in and have work authorization for one of the country locations specified (US, Canada - North America eastern time zone preferred, Germany, UK). We are unable to consider applicants outside of these locations and are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA) Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.