About the Role
As German language Copywriter on the European marketing team, you will play a central role in shaping the way Mozilla and its products, like Firefox, Mozilla VPN and Pocket, show up in the world – specifically in Germany – and how we communicate with our audiences.
Fighting against conformity and for the right to use the internet freely while staying protected online, you will engage with millions of internet users in Europe. You will collaborate with and learn from a diverse set of colleagues, from product managers and marketing strategists to engineers, data analysts, and designers.
You will create compelling and engaging content and creative concepts for our owned and paid media channels, write, localize and review copy to ensure consistency and develop and own the tone of voice for all of our German marketing channels. You’ll also inform the planning and briefing process, make sure the strategy for the German market is sound, collaborate on briefs for our advocacy program to ensure we are giving the right direction for bringing our story to new audiences and develop creative concepts.
Your task is to make the complex and abstract – real and tangible. You will shape public perception of issues like online privacy and ethical tech by making those topics accessible to our audiences.
In this role you will work closely with and report to our Creative Lead in Europe to expand the Mozilla narrative across our German properties to connect brand, product and policy into a cohesive story. You will also support the localisation work for the German market and help manage inputs from our internal and external partners.
This role is full-time and based in Germany.
You are a self starting, passionate writer and creative and a quick thinker. You have excellent copywriting skills in German, are able to communicate your ideas in English and are as witty as you are conceptual. You have a diverse content portfolio that includes, brand campaigns, copy for a wide range of formats (short and long copy) and interesting and engaging content ideas.
You’re a native German speaker with experience working in an English speaking environment and you know how to present your work. And you’re the kind of person who’s not afraid to ask questions and run down the answers — nor let a little ambiguity (or unexpected feedback) get between you and the task at hand. Talking and brainstorming is fun, but there's nothing like writing your way to the answer. You’re organized, proactive and on top of your to-do list. Supporting your colleagues, being proactive and super organised are natural to you.
Specific responsibilities include...
- Drafting original copy for Mozilla, Firefox and Pocket that’s culturally relevant, strategic and tone-appropriate for the German market — including paid media advertising, email, blog and social posts, websites, video scripts
- Brainstorming and pitching content ideas that support the bigger message and connects the dots
- Writing and editing excellent user first copy
- Localising content from English to German and back-translating German copy into English to share with the rest of the team
- Reviewing and editing key touchpoints written or translated by others for appropriate tone, content and intention
- Updating, developing and own the German tone of voice guidelines
- Participating in user testing and SEO optimization for German website copy
- Crafting innovative and shareable content with a team of writers and designers
- Working closely with the Creative Lead, Designer and key partners to ship user first experiences
- Working independently and efficiently during high intensity rapid response campaigns
- 5+ years experience in advertising copywriting, content creation or related field
- Proven ability to craft marketing that improves product experience, increases user base, and brand equity
- Experience in concepting cross channel campaigns
- Ability to pitch work-in-progress ideas, present final work to multiple partners and draw inspiration from their feedback
- Strong portfolio featuring engaging content ideas and creative executions for owned and paid media channels
- Experience working collaboratively and in the open using Google documents
- Self-motivated to prioritize projects, set appropriate expectations with partners, and meet project deadlines
- Experience publishing your own content in a blog, on a site, or in print
- Ability to write in a variety of styles with an ear for modern, conversational and inclusive German
- Experience in localising and trancreating content and ideas
- Native German speaker with excellent English skills (our workplace language)
- Experience in the technology field
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.