MZLA Technologies Corporation (MZLA), a new, wholly owned subsidiary of Mozilla Foundation, has created a new Director of Operations position to oversee the business operations of the Thunderbird product! This role will initially report to the President of the MZLA Board.
Thunderbird is a global, free, and open source email that has grown significantly since its launch 10+ years ago! The project is governed by its community, which means that strategic and other high-level decisions are publicly discussed and decided upon by the elected Thunderbird Council. Thunderbird has grown in donations, staff, and aspirations over the last years. It is looking to mature and expand its business practices to ensure future operational success. This new role is an opportunity for an experienced and entrepreneurial leader who is excited to build and implement operational capabilities to support Thunderbird’s ongoing growth.
The Director of Operations will oversee all of Thunderbird’s financial and administrative activities, including finance, human resources, and contract management. The position will play a key role in business planning and policy development and be a key liaison between the Thunderbird Council, MZLA Board of Directors, as well as its parent, Mozilla Foundation, which provides MZLA with a number of operational services. The Director will be a strategic leader, with significant operational management experience in an earlier stage company, who can both manage day-to-day operational activities and provide key strategic policy and business planning for a growing company. Since we are a global organization, we request flexibility in work hours to allow for more direct collaboration.
- Oversee the HR function for Thunderbird, including payroll and benefits, recruitment of new staff, professional development, onboarding, training, and the development and management of staff processes.
- In partnership with plan administrators, where appropriate, manage company benefits plans and coordination of the annual open enrollment process.
- Help develop new organization policies and procedures and lead all aspects of implementation.
- Work with Mozilla Foundation’s HR team to ensure compliance with policies and national, international, and local labor laws in the countries where MZLA engages with people.
- Maintain the relationship with the organization’s Professional Employer Organization (PEO).
- Oversee procurement and management of contractors.
- Support Thunderbird’s coordinated efforts with the Mozilla Foundation to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Serve as liaison between Thunderbird oversight council and staff & contractors.
- Supervise all finance and accounting activities including credit card expenses, payroll and A/P approvals, operating bank accounts, monthly financial reporting and annual and quarterly tax filings.
- Monitor and review journal entries from the outsourced third party accounting team.
- Be responsible for and lead the annual budgeting and business planning process in partnership with Thunderbird Council.
- Monitor actual progress against budget and changes on a monthly basis, and provide monthly financial highlights on performance and trends.
- Develop and update annual income statements and cash flow forecasts.
- Develop and implement all vital business policies for effective internal control and process improvement.
- Support and work with the contracts management team at the Mozilla Foundation on managing and implementing all vendor contracts.
- Collaborate with the Mozilla Foundation legal team when contract or organizational legal issues arise.
- Team up with the donor care services team at the parent company who process the day-to-day contributions and respond to Thunderbird contributors.
- Liaise on operational matters with the Thunderbird Council, including participation in regular Council meetings and collaborating with the Council Treasurer.
- Participate in quarterly MZLA Board of Directors meetings and prepare agenda and reports.
Your Professional Profile
- Minimum 10 years of finance and operations experience including a minimum of 5 years of managing human resources and finance functions.
- Experienced with and knowledgeable of U.S. GAAP accounting and U.S. corporate tax filing requirements; having worked in a technology, earlier stage company is a plus.
- Highly experienced with financial planning including budgeting and forecasting.
- Highly proficient with developing budgeting and forecasting models and scenario analyses.
- Experienced with business, financial and operational planning with earlier stage companies; having experience in a technology/software product company is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; Ability to translate and distill financial concepts to - and effectively collaborate with - colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Technology savvy with experience working with multiple software applications to support operating platforms.
- Able to roll up sleeves to solve operational challenges and issues as they arise.
- Comfortable with working in a remote operating platform with a globally dispersed team.
- Experience with FLOSS and/or non-profit organizations would be considered a plus.
Salary & Benefits Information
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €94,681 - €115,722 (mid-point:€105,201.60)
- UK: £61,257 - £74,869 (mid-point: £68,063)
- Canada: $107,520 - $131,414 (mid-point: $119,467)
- US: $113,758 - $139,038 (mid-point: $126,398)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £66,769.90 - £81,607.66 (mid-point: £74,188.78)
- Toronto: $116,014.31 - $141,795.26 (mid-point: $ 128,904.785)
- New York: $126,044.04 - $154,053.82 (mid-point: $ 140,048.93)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits:
20 days PTO per year for sick and holiday (+ all local statutory holidays)
- PTO days accrue by calendar year.
- Untaken PTO days are allowed to roll over to the following calendar year but must be taken during the first 3 month of the year. Any days that aren't used by the end of that 3 months will be lost.
We also offer a retirement plan and medical benefits.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.