A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven”. Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
The MDN Web Docs (https://developer.mozilla.org) engineering team is looking for a senior full-stack web developer to help us maintain and evolve the open-source platform (https://github.com/mdn) that powers a website loved by millions of developers worldwide. Your work will impact over 17 million developers every day.We’re a small, friendly and dedicated group of software engineers, and we’re not just looking for someone with the desired technical skills, but also for someone who wants to build and maintain a friendly and collaborative culture as much as we do. We’re always striving to make MDN better, but we also want to have some fun and help each other along the way.Our team is entirely remote, as are many of our other colleagues, so our meeting hours tend to span the Central European to Pacific time zones (early evening in Europe/UK, early morning on the West Coast of the US).It’s an exciting time to join the MDN engineering team. We’ve made dramatic changes to our platform over the past year, enabling us to resolve entrenched issues that have held MDN back for years, but there’s so much more to do!
What You'll Get To Do
As a senior developer on our team, you’ll influence and shape not only the frontend, backend, and CI/CD workflows of the platform, but the evolution of the architecture and technologies that we use as well. All of the work that you’ll do will be in the open, including any infrastructure code, so you’ll be adding your name to a long-lived tradition of open source.You'll work closely with team members from a variety of areas, including technical writers, UX, product management, and marketing. We also hope you’ll share your knowledge with the team, as well as with the volunteers who contribute to MDN (and learn from them too).Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent years of experience
- At least 5 years of experience developing software
- Extensive experience in frontend and backend web development, preferably on a high-traffic website
- Experience developing within the Node.js ecosystem
- Experience with Python development, preferably including Django
- Experience developing REST APIs
- Experience with relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL)
- Comfortable working with Git & GitHub
- Experience developing continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD) workflows, especially using GitHub Actions
- Experience with Scrum/Agile/Kanban or similar development methodology
- Experience working with UI/UX designers
- Ability to work productively on a remote, geographically distributed team
- Enjoy sharing your know-how and mentoring more junior members
Bonus points for
- Experience with Docker, GitHub Actions, AWS (Route53, S3, CloudFront, RDS, IAM, etc.), Terraform, and/or Kubernetes
- Experience developing with OAuth2/OIDC
- Experience with iOS/Android application development
- Experience with payment-processing/e-commerce
- Experience with a compiled language like Java, C/C++, Go, Rust, Kotlin, or Swift
- Experience working within open source projects
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.