Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks.
- The Engineering Manager leads a team of engineers within Firefox Desktop, which is responsible for the Installer, the Updater, and other major components of the Firefox Desktop browser.
- We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about building awesome teams, finding innovative solutions to challenging problems, shipping quality software and wanting to make an impact with how the world uses the Internet.
- Support your teams to innovate on Firefox and help to create more related opportunities and solutions for Firefox users.
What You'll Get To Do
- Directly manage a distributed group of engineers working on Firefox.
- Communicate your team’s goals, the scope and risks of your projects, and own the delivery of initiatives on clear timelines.
- Mentor and provide regular feedback to employees regarding system architecture, solution design, code quality, test development, career development, employee performance, community building, communication style, and work-life balance.
- Work collaboratively with many teams including Product, Business Development, QA, Operations, and Data Analysis.
- Create an inclusive environment which engages and challenges your team members, and exposes them to new opportunities.
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance.
What You Bring
- Experience leading and shipping sophisticated software projects on time in a loosely structured environment.
- Software engineering background that enables you to drive technical decisions within the team and engage with engineers at all levels of seniority.
- Desire to grow and learn as a manager, and get results through others rather than personal technical proficiency.
- Ability to work with various other teams and stakeholders as needed to coordinate on cross-team efforts.
- Strong communication and ability to develop positive relationships with others, regardless of their rank or role.
- Passion to resolve problems, manage risk, lead change, and facilitate collaborative decision-making.
- Able to hire, coach, empower, develop, and delegate to geographically distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
Bonus points for
We value a variety of voices. You don’t need to check every box on this list to apply.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and the Win32 platform, and/or with macOS and the Cocoa platform.
- Experience working in open source environments.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.