Pocket is hiring a Product Design Manager to oversee our Design and User Research teams.
We're looking for a passionate and creative design leader with experience growing, leading and championing the product design function within an organization. You will partner across the Pocket and Mozilla organization and provide leadership for how design can introduce and shape ideas, iterate on existing products, early product development with new technologies and form factors, establish processes and practices for realizing that vision, and set a bar for quality.
In this role you will be at a focal point for shaping the way millions of people around the world discover, consume, and manage content. Pocket has exciting plans and audacious goals for how it can help people make better use of their time online. We believe we can bring back agency and delight to users where today’s content space has been dominated by monopolistic companies, murky algorithms and misaligned incentives. Why do we think we can do this? The power of our products and the fact we’re part of Mozilla, which allows us to operate at true Internet scale.
As Product Design Manager, you will play an instrumental role in making this vision a reality.
Day to day you will...
- Help drive goals of the organization across all facets of user-centered design to ensure development teams think in terms of people’s experiences, not just what’s possible to build.
- Ensure teams are consistently testing ideas with targeted, well-executed research & user-testing throughout the process. Instill a culture of continuous discovery.
- Ensure new product and technical explorations have a deep understanding of how people might use them and are grounded in the delivery of user values.
- Oversee and participate as-needed in the design process, from concept and strategy, to wireframing, prototyping, user testing and final execution.
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to assess the fit of product strategy and design within Pocket’s overall organizational goals. Ensure alignment across the organization for product discovery, delivery and iteration.
- Help define, implement, and coach teams on methodologies for rapid learning, and evangelize design thinking within the organization.
- Partner with engineers, product managers, researchers and others to ensure new products have a vision and strategy aligning user needs with business objectives.
- Advocate the role of design throughout the organization by educating and advocating user-centered design practices and highlighting its ability to create successful outcomes.
- Manage a phenomenal team, attracting & growing world-class talent and be accountable for the development of team members by helping them set and achieve goals for their career growth.
- Cultivate an inclusive environment that values differences and creates a sense of belonging and appreciation for team members.
- Lead by example by demonstrating ethics and high accountability and actively drive the process of embedding Mozilla’s values in the creation of products. Create a culture of trust and openness.
Your professional profile...
- 10+ years of experience in consumer digital product, interaction and/or UX design.
- 5+ years of experience building teams; hiring, managing, and mentoring designers and product managers.
- Experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team.
- Experience with remote-first teams.
- A track record of design success in new product development, R&D, product management.
- Experience developing product design processes.
- Knowledge of design thinking processes and user research methodologies and when to apply them.
- You are flexible and efficient – comfortable with ambiguity and exercising a balance between inspiration, bias, and rigorous research in order to move quickly from planning to conducting a project, synthesizing insights, and informing opportunities.
- Provide an online portfolio that exhibits detailed design thinking and problem-solving in regards to the overall user experience.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications we still encourage you to apply!
What’s the team like?
As a business unit of Mozilla, we have the nimbleness of a small team with the resources of a large company. Each teammate is empowered to make a big impact, but our working hours are flexible. We know you have a life outside the office, and we value that and the perspective it brings—you’re human, we’re human, and everyone at Pocket is treated with utmost respect.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.