The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
20 years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
Mozilla Insights is a growing team that produces analytical and accessible publications with a global approach. In addition to Mozilla’s annual Internet Health Report, which compiles research and stories from around the world, we publish deep dives into key areas of importance for trustworthy AI and internet health. Our latest (and upcoming) work focuses on alternative data governance, AI transparency and bias, and innovation in emerging markets.
As Research Project Manager you will run all the research production processes on the Insights team. You will own streamlining the work, as well as knowledge management across the team’s projects. You will ensure our production cycles and resource distribution are well planned, efficiently executed, and connected throughout the process so that we can build on the takeaways. This role is inspired by the scrum master role in the agile methodology, so we will look forward to exploring with you how it can be deployed in a research environment. You will bring a variety of skills and professional experience in project and research management, and a mission -driven understanding of our field across technology, business, and diverse social movements. This is a one-year, fixed term, benefited, contract position with a possibility of extension/ being made permanent!
- Standardize the production processes across all of the Insights team’s projects, in collaboration with internal and external partners, and in doing so prime the team to scale its efforts.
- Champion the process design for research projects. Work with the researchers ensuring timely project delivery while maintaining budgets.
- Guide each team project to ensure the process runs efficiently and the team can be effective, e.g. thorough regular check-ins, maintaining the timeline, monitoring risks, managing logistics of partner involvement, aligning team efforts, and removing impediments.
- Collaborate with the Insights Director, Editors, Researchers, and an Engagement Manager to deliver high quality publications for external and internal audiences as well as with colleagues from across Mozilla to ensure our interoperability with other teams.
- Oversee contractors and vendors, as needed.
- Mentor the team in regards to research production principles and project management tools and rituals. Ensure the team cultivates and follows the agreed upon processes and practices.
- Capture knowledge and takeaways from across projects so as to avoid accumulating institutional debt.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experienced in handling production of action research that can drive decision-making, especially in the AI ethics and internet health spaces.
- Experienced in various project management methods; familiarity with agile methodologies is a plus.
- Organized, exceedingly detailed, passionate about teamwork, with a creative spark, good sense of humor, and appreciation for 'working in the open'.
- An excellent communicator in written and spoken English, with experience working in collaborative, multicultural, and remote environments.
- Proactive in finding unique solutions to problems in a timely fashion.
- Deeply curious and inclusive of values, ideas, and trends that are not Euro/US centric. Ideally, speaks or reads more than one language.
- Able to work within geographically distributed teams and timezones.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €65,751 - €80,363 (mid-point: €73,057)
- UK: £38,990 - £47,654 (mid-point: £43,322)
- Canada: $74,438 - $90,979 (mid-point: $82,709)
- US: $69,782 - $85,289 (mid-point: $77,535)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £42,500 - £51,943 (mid-point: £47,221)
- Toronto: $80,318 - $98,166 (mid-point: $89,243)
- New York: $77,318 - $94,500 (mid-point: $85,909)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits for our staff :
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at email@example.com.