The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online.
20 years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
Mozilla Insights is a growing team that produces analytical and accessible publications with a global approach. In addition to Mozilla’s annual Internet Health Report, which compiles research and stories from around the world, we publish deep dives into key areas of importance for trustworthy AI and internet health. We also conduct analyses to inform organizational strategy and decisions. Our latest (and upcoming) work focuses on alternative data governance, AI transparency and bias, and innovation in emerging markets.
As Senior Researcher you will lead or contribute to impactful research projects of the Insights team drawing on a variety of different research methods. You will liaise with staff and fellows across Mozilla and you will contribute to developing the Insights team methodology. You will bring a variety of skills and professional experience, an extensive personal network, and a deep and mission-driven understanding of our field across technology, business, and diverse social movements in different world regions. This is a one-year, fixed term, benefited, contract position with a possibility of extension/ being made permanent.
- Lead the delivery of various research projects including scoping, research design, implementation, drafting, and open peer reviews.
- Conduct research using primary and secondary sources, as well as quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Collaborate with the team including an Editor and Engagement Manager to deliver high quality publications for external and internal audiences.
- Guide the research team regarding research focus, dependencies, and quality control.
- Contribute to a cross-team organizational research road map and development of research methodologies.
- Actively develop and nurture networks and relationships internally and externally to support successful implementation of research projects.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experienced in producing action research that can drive decision-making, especially in the AI ethics and internet health space.
- Experienced in a range of relevant research methods, including quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis and data wrangling (please indicate any tools or past work of relevance).
- Able to work with large data sets and assess the quality of data sources.
- Well-networked and connected in the internet research space, and able to articulate and weigh differences in opinion and approach.
- An excellent communicator in written and spoken English, with experience working in collaborative, multicultural, remote environments.
- Diligent, organized, and exceedingly detailed with a creative spark and good sense of humour.
- Highly adept at ‘finding signal in noise’ and keen to interrogate power inequities in data, AI, and internet platforms and systems.
- Deeply curious and inclusive of values, ideas, and trends that are not Euro/ US centric. Ideally, speaks or reads more than one language.
- A team player with appreciation for ‘working in the open’.
- Able to work within geographically distributed teams and time zones.
Salary and Benefits:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role. The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for a Level 15 role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €74,260 - €90,762 (mid-point: €82,511)
- UK: £44,651 - £54,574 (mid-point: £49,613)
- Canada: $85,386 - $104,373 (mid-point: $94,884)
- US: $80,293 - $98,136 (mid-point: $89,214)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £48,670 - £59,486 (mid-point: £54,078)
- Toronto: $92,131 - $112,618 (mid-point: $102,380)
- New York: $88,965 - $108,735 (mid-point: $98,849)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
We offer the following benefits for our staff:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.