The Mozilla Foundation is a California nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Our work is guided by the Mozilla Manifesto and in 2020, we launched a multi-year investment strategy focused on advancing “Trustworthy artificial intelligence” globally. Our strategic plan on Trustworthy AI is described in greater detail here.
The Strategic Operations team is seeking a Grants Manager for our outgoing grants program to join the team full-time for a fixed-term of 8 months. You will be a key administrator and advisor of our outgoing grants management programs including legal and compliance as well as processes and policies. You will work closely with colleagues in the Operations and Fellowship & Awards teams, as well as with the other key member of the grants management team who manages the Foundation’s incoming grants.
- Administer our outgoing grant making processes and procedures in partnership with program, finance, legal, and other key partners, while ensuring that these concur with our policies and goals. These responsibilities include:
- Review and approve payments to grantees continually while appropriately allocating expenses and serving as an approver in bill.com for such payments.
- Respond to applicant inquiries, and process and track status of awards and fellowship agreements and payments.
- Support Mozilla's budgeting and forecasting process by providing the senior financial analyst with a list of pending or planned grants.
- Monitor the grant pipeline to help resolve any issues and ensure timely processing of awards and fellowships.
- Ensure that Mozilla’s grant making follows IRS regulations, upholds Mozilla policies, and external funder requirements:
- Coordinate grant agreement processing, report reviews, and amendment requests with Program Officers, external tax counsel, and other key partners.
- Conduct initial due diligence review by gathering information from program officers and applicants as needed and assessing supporting documents and proposal narrative for compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies.
- Draft grant agreements, liaise with external tax counsel to review agreements, and raise/discuss concerns, ensuring follow-up with program officers and applicants/grantees as needed.
- Advise Program Officers on structuring grants and grant programs, compliance, and risk management.
- Monitor and review grantee reports to ensure compliance with relevant IRS regulations and Mozilla and external funder policies.
- Serve as the grants management system administrator:
- Work with the Fellowship and Awards Program Officers to maintain the integrity of data in Fluxx, ensuring that we have an accurate record of Mozilla’s grant making and its impact.
- Stay up-to-date on Fluxx updates, troubleshooting and testing implications for our Fluxx instance and integrating new features as needed.
- Partner with program officers and other contributors to identify evolving requirements of our grants management system, and recommend and implement improvements based on Mozilla’s needs.
- Provide technical support to staff and grantees that are using Fluxx.
- Build customized reports for internal and external partners using data sets from Fluxx.
- Update Fluxx forms and workflows as needed for Mozilla’s grant programs.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years of grants management experience comprising 5 years of outgoing grants management; should have a strong understanding of grants processes and related compliance issues, particularly related to grant making by 501(c)(3) public charities.
- Knowledge and strong experience with the grants management system and platforms. Experience as a Fluxx system administrator strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and application of best practices in grant making.
- Outstanding customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to evaluate, improve, run, and maintain systems and processes.
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, and ability to balance competing priorities.
- Ability to collaborate and work collectively toward solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse partners, internally and externally.
- Dedication to service and support for members of our team; timely response to requests and follow-up as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.