As a global, mission-based organization, we are engaged in promoting the promise of a free and open Internet with users' needs at its core. The Firefox user research team's role is to uncover these needs and translate them into research findings for the product and design teams. We employ a mixed methods approach to understand sophisticated business needs and generate insights that drive product innovation.
We are currently seeking a researcher who can engage with people to understand their experiences, context, motivations, and behaviors. We are looking for someone who understands and is motivated by Mozilla's mission and wants to be a part of improving people's daily lives online. Are you deeply passionate about conducting meticulous, significant research whose outcome affects 100s of millions of users? If so, join us!
As a user researcher at Mozilla, you will lead exploratory, foundational research as well as evaluative research while partnering with other researchers, designers, product managers and engineers.
In this role, you are also responsible for:
- Facilitating a user-centered design and product development process that advocates for users’ needs and perspectives
- Working with partnering teams to scope research needs
- Developing research materials such as interview protocols, usability test scripts, surveys, and diary studies
- Working with participant recruitment vendors to develop screeners and leading user research sessions
- Moderating research sessions and conducting in-context fieldwork
- Collaborating with User Research colleagues on team projects and mentoring others
We are seeking a team member who:
- Has been the sole lead for multi-method research projects
- Has supported and mentored less experienced researchers and provided informal and formal education about user research to partnering team members including executives
- Has presented their user research findings in a range of venues
- Has experience shaping the processes of a user research team including but not limited to shared tools, policies, etc.
- Has a strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase
- is actively committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in user research
As a successful user researcher, you are able to:
- Connect insights drawn from research studies to design, technical requirements, and product strategy
- Clearly communicate research process, rationale, and findings
- Work flexibly and efficiently; you exercise a balance between inspiration, bias, and meticulous research in order to move quickly from planning to completing a project
- Work closely and in partnership with functional teams to advocate for users
- Promote the value of research and positively impact decision-making
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions. We will ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, as appropriate. Please contact us at email@example.com to request an accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. Mozilla will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics or any other unlawful behavior, conduct, or purpose.
Location Details: Mozilla’s US and Canada office locations include San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR and Toronto, Canada. We are also open to you working from your home office anywhere in the US or Canada for this position.