The Internet you know and love is at risk. A range of political and commercial forces threaten our chances to keep the internet a global public resource, open and accessible to all. At the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, we’re passionate about fueling a movement for a healthy internet! We do this by engaging movement leaders and encouraging thousands around the world to take action alongside us.
We’re seeking an Editorial Manager to join the Foundation’s growing Engagement team. The person for this role is a dynamic leader who will guide a team of content producers to drive awareness of (and engagement with) issues around internet health and trustworthy artificial intelligence. Content is a critical driver of supporter growth for Mozilla and this job is at the center of that effort. You will:
- Develop highly targeted content for our award-winning website
- Foster content partnerships while mentoring and managing hardworking writers/creators
- Use audience insights to ensure Mozilla’s messages are strategic, accessible and compelling across channels
- Have a track record of crafting high-quality content for world class publications, unlocking audience value while reinforcing Mozilla’s strategic communication goals
- Lead a team to develop an editorial plan featuring engaging, accessible content that inspires and empowers our supporters to take charge of their online lives
- Continuously assess content performance to ensure consistency and strategic impact, evaluating analytics and translating data into insights applied to future work
- Drive and oversee the editorial calendar and own the content lifecycle from creation to archive
- Develop external content partnerships and initiatives to advance Mozilla’s mission (e.g. branded content, guest posts)
- Create and oversee organic search-driven content strategy to acquire new supporters
- Drive and support copy development across Mozilla, including managing the Foundation’s evergreen website content, and building a supporting style/content guide
- Collaborate closely with, and create scalable editorial processes for, members of design, communications, marketing and engineering teams in ways that reinforce the consistency of Mozilla’s campaign messaging
Skills & Experience:
- You are an excellent writer with an in-depth understanding of best practices and principles of digital content strategy, capable of establishing consistent voice and tone across channels, developing guidelines and tailoring content to specific verticals. You are comfortable with storytelling across different media
- Experience as a people manager who knows how to nurture great people (both staff and freelancers) and help them grow into leaders, while creating a results-oriented culture of openness and iterative experimentation.
- You have proven ability to lead a distributed content team
- Experience managing an editorial calendar and process for an organization and developing content that aligns with programmatic priorities
- You think about how to build a relationship with supporters beyond a single piece of content, and have experience crafting onboarding content/user journeys
- You care deeply about great content that informs, inspires and sparks action among existing and new supporters/readers
- You are comfortable with forward-thinking, responsive work and can confidently toggle between strategic, tactical and adaptive leadership
- You are skilled in leading projects with partners across different teams
- Nice to have: You are well-versed in issues related to tech & society
- 5+ years of professional experience with 2+ years in a role managing people and projects. Experience leading content producers (writers, videographers, community managers) and working cross-functionally, especially with product, design and engineering teams is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to run quantitative and qualitative assessments for content performance goals
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Portfolio: A showcase of exceptional editorial work
The Mozilla Foundation can hire in the jurisdiction of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Germany.
If you are deeply interested in the role, please don’t hesitate to apply even if your experience or skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We seek to hire a person who will become an integral member of our team. We all love to expand our skills through our work!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity, and encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.