A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
Come join Mozilla as a Usability/Research Specialist for our Emerging Technologies team, Mozilla’s early research & development organization! We're building developer tools, knowledge, and community, including Mozilla Developer Network web docs, voice assistants & speech technologies, mixed reality, and new explorations.
If your passion is helping people, problem-solving, working in an environment that allows you to stretch your technological skillset providing users solutions, while supporting a mission that is driven to ensure the Internet is a global public resource open and accessible, then this is the right position for you!
You will take part in new product design programs and contribute to usability improvements for current products, collaborating with teams of researchers, designers, and engineers and working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
**Given the design and interactive nature of this position, you will need to be located in Portland, OR to easily join all activities when necessary**
Day to day you will…
- Apply usability testing and human-computer interaction techniques to assist with our user testing, documentation, and design activities.
- Facilitate individual to large group study sessions across a range of methods, including comparative and tradeoff assessments, guerrilla tests, A/B tests, card sorts, moderate/un-moderated research, remote usability, heuristics evaluations, and user experience assessments.
- Proactively support our research and design efforts by being a relentless user advocate and helping us deliver concepts and products that are safe & effective, easy to use, not prone to user error, and that delight end users.
- Identify, recruit and schedule users, incl. development and execution of screeners
- Collaborate closely across disciplines to articulate the value of user-centered design advocating for the end-user throughout the process.
- Employing both qualitative and quantitative analysis of data to formulate insights and informed decisions. Assess results, write reports, and present findings.
- Provide heuristic design mentorship, ideas, and feedback to project teams and help identify use-cases and usability risks
- Establish and publish requirements and guidelines
- Work on multiple, concurrent projects, prioritizing tasks to complete on schedule while maintaining the quality of your work
- Support contextual and ethnographic research as well as individual/group interviews
Your professional profile...
- Min of 3 years of experience in a UX research role.
- A degree related to human factors, industrial engineering, cognitive engineering, experimental psychology, and/or human-computer interaction or equivalent experience in behavioral sciences or consumer product usability evaluation
- You have a diverse toolkit of user experience research and usability methods with the ability to select, scale, and adapt your toolkit to a variety of investigative, information-gathering, and analysis tasks
- Strong interaction design and web technology skills
- A portfolio that demonstrates a breadth of testing techniques and experiences
- Self-starter who thrives on responsibility and accountability
- Comfortable with ambiguity and moving quickly from planning to execution
- Familiar with industry standards and trends in relation to usability, HCI and HFE
Extras (not required yet great plus)
- Experience with research on voice systems, augmented, and/or virtual reality.
- Experience with userzoom, usertesting.com or similar platforms
- Experience with machine learning or AI systems.
- Understanding of accessibility standards.
- Experience in an open-source environment.
- Experience working on a remote and distributed team.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.