A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
The Mozilla creative team delivers the visual and verbal expression of the Firefox brand. We craft experiences that attract interest, enlighten users, and make our products beloved. You will work with fellow brand, product, social, PR, events, and communications team members to build content and experiences that spread our story to like-minded people all over the world.
Firefox is more than a browser: it’s a whole family of products designed to help you safely navigate your relationship with technology, so you can own your data and your digital life. We’ve just debuted our new brand system, and are exploring new ways to deepen our relationship with users. It’s an exciting time to join us as we seek to amplify our impact, fight for peoples’ rights online, and help protect the internet for future generations.
About the Role
We’re seeking a candidate to support brand marketing for all Firefox products.
Each day will be spent on two teams: one focused on improving peoples’ perception of our brand in the EU, and the other focused on enticing people to download and use our products. On these teams, you’ll work in the agile marketing method, collaborating with and learning from a diverse set of colleagues, from product managers and marketing strategists to engineers, data analysts, and designers.
Once the team decides what goals you’ll tackle, you'll work sprint by sprint to accomplish them together. In your role, you’ll inform the planning and briefing process, making sure the strategy for the French market is sound. You’ll flex your creative skills to deliver concepts that answer the objectives, and then make those ideas a reality with your design partners. You’ll also review French writing by others to ensure consistency. In doing so, you’ll come to define the brand voice in French, embodying and expressing the Firefox personality: Radical, Opinionated, Open and Kind.
This role is full-time, based in Berlin, reporting to the Head of Copywriting.
Specific responsibilities include...
- Draft original content for Firefox that’s culturally relevant, strategic and tone-appropriate for the French market — including digital advertising, email, blog and social posts, snippets, web pages, video scripts
- Collaborate with Managing Editor to identify global stories that can be trans-created for France, and French stories that would work well globally
- Review and edit key touchpoints written or translated by others for appropriate tone, content and intention
- Collaborate with English copy team to name global products, concept campaigns, and keep an eye on the high-level marketing that might need to be adapted into French
- Help evaluate and improve the process for localizing content, and execute some translation work
- Develop and promote the tools that guide translation of content in French
- Participate in user testing and SEO optimization for French website copy
You’re native to the culture, with recent experience living and working in France. You know that context is content’s best friend. You’re passionate about the creative. You know how to present and defend your work. And you’re the kind of person who’s not afraid to ask questions and run down the answers — nor let a little ambiguity (or unexpected feedback) get between you and the task at hand. Talking and brainstorming is f, but there's nothing like writing your way to the answer. You’re organized, proactive, self-starting, and on top of your to-do list.
- 7+ years experience in advertising copywriting, journalism, content creation or related field
- 5+ years in the technology field
- Proven ability to craft marketing that improves product experience, increases user base, and brand equity
- Ability to pitch work-in-progress ideas and present final work to multiple partners and draw inspiration from their feedback
- Experience working collaboratively and in the open using Google documents
- Self-motivated to prioritize projects, set appropriate expectations with partners, and meet project deadlines
- Experience publishing your own content in a blog, on a site, or in print
- Ability to write in a variety of styles with an ear for modern, conversational French
- Proficient at French - English cross translation and English-to-French transliteration
- Proficient in German and English
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race (including hairstyle and texture), religion (including religious grooming and dress practices), gender, gender identity, gender expression, color, national origin, pregnancy, ancestry, domestic partner status, disability, sexual orientation, age, genetic predisposition, medical condition, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable laws. We will provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability.