Are you passionate about the Open Web? Do you want to help protect the internet’s tremendous socioeconomic benefits through policy and advocacy?
Mozilla is hiring Policy Interns onto our teams throughout the nation. This opportunity is based in San Francisco, CA.
Mozilla works with our users and developers to provide products and services that make the Web more robust, and takes action when the Open Web is threatened. We engage in public policy matters when and where Mozilla can make a difference through both advancing and defending the Web.
As a part of our Mozilla Internship Program, you will:
- Impact challenging projects influenced by our family of Mozilla products in and outside of the Firefox web browser (accessibility, voice design, developer tools, mobile, and mixed reality), Pocket, and more
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to Mozilla leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend provided
- Flights and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visas sponsored
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Locations include Mountain View, San Francisco, Toronto, Berlin, and Paris. Please refer to our internship listings for specific locations offered by position.
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical).
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and/or behavioral interviews with team members (coding and/or situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
Policy Intern (San Francisco, CA)
Our team leads Mozilla's engagement with global public policy processes - this includes regulatory and legislative developments on all things internet and tech policy. Our summer policy intern contributes directly to our work through analysis, research, writing, and joining meetings with government officials and stakeholders.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Law, Computer Science, Public Policy or Political Science with some interest in all four of those areas
- Must be graduating December 2020 and onward
- Reasonable fluency in and passion for technology
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with how to access and employ a variety of resources
- Flexibility to help with all aspects of Mozilla's policy work, specifically in the Americas
- Research and analyze complex internet public policy issues
- Plan strategies and initiatives to create measurable change
- Help the policy team track and monitor policy issues that could affect Mozilla and relate to our mission and manifesto, and make recommendations on positions on these issues
- Develop and draft policy messaging and framing for external audiences including policy makers, NGO’s and other key groups
- Participate in strategic coalitions and organizations to help advance the image and visibility of Mozilla
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.