Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
We are looking for an industry leader to join our mobile engineering team in building Firefox products. You will have the opportunity to make company-level impact through technical leadership on Firefox projects, as well as by influencing the direction of mobile by shaping cross-team technical ownership and cooperation. Join our group of talented, passionate, kind teammates in designing and building the best experiences for the mobile web.
Mozilla Mobile Engineering is a group of highly collaborative small teams that build Firefox products on Android. You will have the opportunity to work across these teams: to help the GeckoView team embed our modern Quantum browser engine, the Android Components team build the reusable blocks of browser experience functionality, and to help compose mobile experiences users love out of all these parts as a member of the browser-building team. You will help our tech stack continue growth to support top level organizational goals.
As a Senior Staff Android Application Engineer here at Mozilla, you will...
- Exemplify professionalism in engineering stability, maintainability, and performance.
- Identify and drive work in areas that need attention.
- Partner with existing technical leadership to drive constant improvements in engineering processes and strategy.
- Actively reach out and collaborate with other teams to keep constant forward momentum.
- Be a connector between senior leadership and mobile engineering.
- Manage risk associated with the Mobile group’s work.
- Mentor, sponsor, and encourage coworkers.
Your Professional Profile
- Your technical leadership has been instrumental to shipping successful mobile projects.
- 8+ years of experience demonstrating technical leadership, including mentoring software developers on mobile devices.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with excellent communication in English.
- Experience with architecture, testability, and refactoring large complex systems.
- Experience leading work across multiple engineering teams, or work that has interdependencies with other teams.
- Experience working with a geographically distributed team is a plus.
Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity on mobile. This role is available in our offices (Toronto preferred), and remote US/Canada.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.