Do you want to learn more about digital privacy and internet rights, and teach people to take back control of their online lives
Tactical Tech and Mozilla are looking for a team of “Ingenius” data and privacy champions who want to help host our Glass Room exhibition in San Francisco in October – November 2019. We will train you to show and inspire others how to improve their tech, privacy and data skills, and how to raise awareness about these issues. It doesn’t matter how much or how little you already know; passion and curiosity about the technologies we all use are what count.
We want our team of Ingeniuses to reflect the diversity of the Bay Area, so we especially welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and of any age, 18 and above.
Does this sound like you or someone you know? Then apply to the Mozilla and Tactical Tech open call to become an Ingenius.
Becoming an Ingenius
We will provide you with 4 days of training: a 3-day camp at Mozilla HQ in San Francisco plus one day of training on-site. Once you’ve completed this, you’re a fully-fledged Ingenius, and ready to pass on your knowledge to others. The training takes place October 4–7, 2019. As a trained Ingenius, you will support around 8 to 10 four-hour sessions in the Glass Room in October – November.
The training will introduce the politics of data and privacy, showing you how to take control of your smartphone, your browsers, and your online behavior. We’ll provide the low-down on the basics of digital security, metadata investigations, and much more. By the end of the training, you’ll be ready to facilitate our one-hour, in-store workshops and interact with visitors.
What do you get out of this experience?
- Four days of professional development training and the opportunity to practice new skills by interacting with visitors of the Glass Room and facilitating one of our workshops
- Increased knowledge in the field of data and privacy from a technology, politics, arts and activist perspective
- Fresh insight on quick guiding interventions and demonstrations about data, privacy and digital security issues
- A new network of organizations and individuals – including Tactical Tech and Mozilla
- A resource base of new tools, ideas and instructing formats
- New communications skills helping you work closely with non-experts on politics of data topics
- An extraordinary experience with a small and dedicated team of like-minded individuals
- A Certificate of Completion highlighting your facilitation training and celebrating your contributions to The Glass Room
- An honorarium for your participation in training and sessions working in The Glass Room
What exactly is The Glass Room?
When you walk by the storefront window of the Glass Room, it looks like a sleek tech and lifestyle store. At first glance, it offers the latest in shiny digital consumer products, such as the newest tablet or fitness tracker.
But as you go inside, you find there’s nothing for sale.
Following hugely successful openings in Berlin, New York, and London and a further 127 events worldwide, reaching 130,000 people, we are bringing the Glass Room exhibition to the San Francisco Bay Area in October 2019.
The Glass Room engages in a dialogue with the public, the tech industry, decision makers, and the media about the current challenges related to digitization and the tech sector, from disinformation to online harms and from ethics in technology design to data privacy. Visitors can explore exhibits, take a Data Detox, or engage with our ‘Ingeniuses’ about the practical changes they can make to their online lives.
The exhibition and accompanying events program examines not only the social impact of technology but also actively seeks solutions for and reflection on what kind of technology we want in the future.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.