Mozilla’s Developer Relations team is seeking a part-time, 20-hour a week, social media specialist. In this role, you’ll represent us in an ongoing online conversation with web developers, designers, and folks who follow Mozilla’s technical work on the web. This is a part-time contract position for someone eager to grow our developer-facing social channels, with a primary focus on Twitter. Currently, we operate several Twitter accounts, including @mozhacks and @mozdevnet, which together account for over 100K followers.
We’re looking for a person to be the voice of the Mozilla Developer Network, the MDN Web Docs website, the Mozilla Hacks blog and MozHacks YouTube channel. As we roll out new programs for web developers, and new products and features for Firefox and Mozilla, your strategy of tweets and social interaction will introduce and amplify these offerings. We’ll be relying on you to raise awareness and grow audience.
You’ll need to understand the unique characteristics of developer audiences. Coders like to be consulted, never coddled. They don’t like to have their workflow interrupted, yet they appreciate a clever distraction. Among developers, fluffy copy won’t cut it, and accuracy trumps cuteness every time.
We like writing that inspires our audience to engage more deeply, to retweet and share. We value the full of range of activities that Twitter can enable - from live conference tweeting, to topical tweet-storms, to well-conceived scheduled Twitter events, like AMAs (ask me anything) and Q & A sessions. We’re on the lookout for new ideas.
- Past professional experience with social tools and tactics
- A proven ability to design and execute a social media strategy that builds a brand voice, and drives engagement and interaction.
- Working familiarity with social media analytics. You’re comfortable reporting the numbers, designing social media experiments, testing new ideas, and measuring impact.
- Knowledge of graphics tools for social sharing. You create compelling animated gifs, images, embeds, and memes and you understand how to use them effectively.
- Past experience managing an editorial calendar for social content, while engaging appropriately and building a conversational flow for our channels. Bonus points if you’ve worked with Airtable for content management.
- This is an opportunity to help extend the MDN brand on Twitter, and give us a more vocal presence in key conversations. So, in addition to tactical excellence and attention to detail, we are seeking a practitioner whose social media work strategic impact with your work can have.
Please share at least 5 examples of short-form writing: These can be from your own website or portfolio, work you’ve done for others, or work from your own blog, twitter or other social media account, articles, podcasts, videos, design portfolios, etc. We will not consider applicants who do not provide varied examples of written work, including content written for Twitter.
Bonus points for sharing images and animations you’ve created for Twitter.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.