Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The developer productivity team enables Firefox developers do their best work by optimizing tooling for bug tracking, version control tools, code review and build systems. Our team ensures these systems are responsive and run on a secure modern stack that can scale accordingly to accelerate developer productivity. Bugzilla.mozilla.org receives about 3 million hits a day, approximately 150 daily commits land on hg.mozilla.org and our continuous integration farm runs over 12,000 build jobs a day.
As a Developer Productivity Software Engineer you will
- Implement new services and improve developer productivity tools and services
- Collaborate with your teammates and other teams by providing code review and guidance to technical direction
- Mentor others and be mentored by more senior team members
- Work with a geographically-distributed development team
- As needed, provide after hours support for critical issues from the operations team on an occasional basis.
You should possess the following skills
- You are proficient in a scripting language such as Python or modern Perl
- Experience working with version control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery
- Proficient Linux administration skills to tune performance and mitigate security risks
- Experience writing efficient SQL queries and designing schemas for relational databases
- An excellent communicator and have participated effectively on a distributed team
- You have a consistent track record of finishing projects
- You can write tools to automate repeated tasks and enhance tools written by others
- You know how to perform basic system and network debugging, identify pertinent information, and write a good bug report
Nice to have:
- Experience maintaining high-traffic APIs and websites
- Experience with modern security practices and DDOS mitigation strategies
- Experience with maintaining services in cloud offerings such as GCP and AWS.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiar with building and maintaining RESTful service APIs
- Improving the resiliency and scalability by implementing web services in cloud offerings such as AWS and GCP
- Ongoing performance improvements and technical stack upgrades to meet security requirements
- Enabling self-service management of products and components
- Split monolithic servers into per-service Instances
- Implement more streamlined testing and deployment tooling for hg.mozilla.org
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.