A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.
Mozilla has a long history of using “openness” to achieve impact with its product and policy stances, and recently established an organization-wide “Open by Design” strategy. Our Open Innovation Team is a multi-disciplinary centre of excellence to champion this strategy. We design technology projects for effective co-development with networks of organizations and individuals. And we build the infrastructure and processes to ensure healthy communities and collaborations.
Are you passionate about emerging technologies, in particular voice and speech technology? Do you believe in the power of open data and open source collaborations to have market impact?
If so, this position could be for you: Taking a leading programmatic role in our effort to democratize speech technologies.
Part of our work in this area is Common Voice, a platform for institutions and individuals who are passionate about speech technologies and languages to contribute their voices and setup new communities. Over the past 2 years, Common Voice has built the largest publicly available, open source voice dataset in the world, in 28 languages (and growing!).
In addition, we are building institutional collaborations around a “stack” of open voice technologies. Mozilla’s open source speech-to-text and text-to-speech projects are at the heart of this, and we have attracted a number of prominent partners to contribute and have market impact.
Your initial mandate will be to take on significant programmatic leadership in these open voice data and technology efforts. This will involve developing program strategies and plans, aligning stakeholders, guiding teams, and ensuring execution. Along with our partnership lead, you will identify and engage directly with a variety of external partners and help to shape the overall collaboration and community model.
What you’ll do:
You will lead multidisciplinary teams to deliver against product and technology goals for our open voice technology projects:
- Lead -- often from an informal position -- cross-Mozilla project teams
- Establish work processes to drive team and project performance, with a basis in agile software development philosophy
- Bring product management lens to ensure product-market fit on both consumer and developer efforts
You will help design our open voice data and technology strategies and communities:
- Identify and champion any required research into markets or technologies
- Design and ensure the implementation of programs and operational strategies that deliver business value through technology collaboration and alliances
You will build and steward external relationships and alliances, and bring thought-leadership, in the open voice data and technology space:
- Actively nurture relationships with strategically relevant projects, companies, and organizations -- both generally and on behalf of specific Mozilla initiatives
- Advocate inside Mozilla for these efforts, including helping to align technology development efforts with our product needs
- Showcase Mozilla’s work/leadership in open voice technologies outside of the organization
What you bring:
- Program leadership experience, with a track record of getting results on technology projects
- Hands-on experience in commercial open technology, open source, or open data projects
- A track record of marshalling external resources and building external alliances
- Strong leadership skills; able to develop credibility at all levels of Mozilla and broadly shape team strategies and effectiveness
- Globally aware and cross culturally clueful
- Experience dealing with an open-source style org that has distributed decision-making, a high need for consensus building, and higher than normal feedback and notification cycles
- Ability to nurture an open and analytical culture, including strong affinity for metrics
- Strong communicator and influencer, both in writing and verbally
- Direct experience with speech/voice products or technologies
- Experience working on global, distributed teams
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.