Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentor ship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an out sized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
The Emerging Technologies team at Mozilla Research is working to enable real-time, high performance virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) applications on the web, with the goal of enabling users to have compelling and safe experiences in this new technology area. One key part of that is the web browser - what are the user, device, and platform needs in order to deliver that experience?
We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about the potential future of virtual and augmented reality, building awesome teams, and shipping great but rapidly evolving software. One of our key advantages at Mozilla and with the Firefox brand is that our products and services are open source, so this role requires collaborating with the open source community, a diverse set of corporate partners, and other teams at Mozilla.
As a Research Engineering Manager you will:
- Lead a distributed team of 5-7 senior software engineers building our browser support for virtual and augmented reality on desktop, mobile, and standalone headsets.
- Report to the Director of Mixed Reality, acting with full responsibility for delivery of our suite of consumer browser products.
- Hire and manage a set of contractors (2-5) working on additional engineering deliverables.
- Create an inclusive environment which engages and challenges your team members, and exposes them to new opportunities.
- Set and communicate your team’s goals, and establish plans and schedules to attain them.
- Work alongside the Product Owner, Marketing team, QA, Localization, and other stakeholders to deliver a complete product.
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is on time, high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Anticipate the right mix of capabilities required for your team to be successful, and recruit and hire new people as needed.
- Collaborate with a variety of stakeholders across job functions and time zones.
- Interact with third party companies and organizations to deliver delightful products to their customers.
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance.
- 5 years of overall industry experience, with at least 2 years of hands-on people management or formal mentoring experience.
- Ability to successfully lead and ship complex software projects on time in a loosely structured environment.
- Can hire, coach, motivate, develop, and delegate to geographically distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
- Can resolve problems, manage risk, lead change, and facilitate collaborative decision-making in a multi-functional team.
- Clear and succinct communication, and the ability to develop positive relationships with subordinates, peers, upper management, and partners.
- Can manage a team in a business environment with rapid change but also opportunity.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed below, and be passionate about learning new things. We’re excited to see:
- Experience with virtual or augmented reality.
- Experience with graphics-intensive applications.
- Experience with full stack software development.
- Experience with non-US/EU markets.
- Working knowledge and experience shipping applications on one of the following programming languages: Java, C++, or Rust.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentor ship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.