The Mozilla Firefox Performance team is a community of engineers who care deeply about delivering the fastest browser possible. We are the team responsible for making all parts of the browser go fast.
Our team is geographically-distributed, and working in the open is the norm. We contribute to the code driving the Firefox browser on a number of platforms - Windows, Android, Linux, and macOS. Our focus is on finding and fixing things that slow down the browser as well as helping other teams write fast and reliable code to make Firefox excellent for users.
Do you have a knack for finding a needle in a haystack? Do you approach problems by looking at the system as a whole? Do you like making things blazing fast? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
What you'll do:
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, tackle problems, profile and analyze performance bottlenecks
- Learn about a wide variety of problems and solutions across a large, mature codebase (ex: what can slow things down when you have old code talking to new code and what can we do about it?)
- Help to educate engineers on other teams about writing more performant code through code reviews, giving talks, and/or writing documentation
- Work with driven, committed team members to help bring the Open Web to millions of people
- BS/MS in CS, CE or 3+ years relevant work experience
- You have experience improving android application performance
- You take an experimental approach to solving problems (including a sense of measurement, basic statistics, and using experiments to diagnose an issue or prove out a solution)
- Care deeply about making the browser fast (it takes trial and error to make an impact on performance, we’re looking for someone who is determined and passionate)
- Strong debugging skills
- An interest and ability to work in a distributed team (which requires good asynchronous written communication skills as well as good verbal communication skills)
Bonus points if you have any of the following:
- Strong background in native application performance (e.g., C, C++, D, Rust, Java/Kotlin)
- Systems experience (multithreading and concurrency, disk I/O, CPU, etc)
- Experience with profiling
- Familiarity with Android or Windows OS application programming, profiling and debugging
We value a variety of voices on the Frontend Performance Team and at Mozilla. You don't need to check every box on this list to apply.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.