At Mozilla, we want to protect the Internet as a global resource, open and accessible to all. We collect terabytes of data a day from millions of users to guide our decision-making. We could use your help.
As a manager on the data science team, you will own a critical piece of the Mozilla organization. Data scientists work closely with our policy, legal, and business development teams to enable decisions and contribute insights that push our mission forward and in the right direction. They build models and design experiments that improve our understanding about the operation of our business and products to ensure that we are optimizing our decisions for maximum impact on the market. We are looking for an opinionated manager with technical chops who is excited to marshal a data science team to shape the future of the Web. You will manage a small team of data scientists and will be responsible for career mentorship and technical guidance. You will work with leadership to define and execute strategies that demonstrate the value of the data contributed by our users while maintaining an ethical set of principles to guide your practice.
As a data science manager...
- You are comfortable steering a team of 2-7 data scientists to align with business priorities, legal and policy agendas, and Mozilla’s greater mission
- You pride yourself on your ability to communicate technical concepts to diverse audiences across Mozilla
- You define requirements for data scientists to other parts of the Mozilla organization
- You collaborate with cross-functional management to create new initiatives and refine existing processes that increase the impact of the data science team
- You possess a strategic mindset and find motivation in creatively solving problems
- You establish best practices for data science workflows and know how to create an environment and team culture that enables data scientists to perform at their best
- You have a strong desire to contribute to Mozilla’s mission through data science
Your professional profile
- At least 2 years directly managing a team of data scientists.
- At least 5 years of industry experience in the data science profession.
- You have experience with a breadth of analytical methodologies and possess a solid foundation in numerous statistical techniques
- You also have experience with common data science technologies, namely SQL, Python, or R, as well as familiarity with conventional code and programming concepts
- You have strong communication skills; experience speaking at industry or academic conferences a plus
- You consider contributing to a collaborative and open team culture an important responsibility
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.