Why join Mozilla engineering?
Learn: Code review at Mozilla includes pushing to passionate contributors around the world. Building Firefox and its family of products requires knowledge up and down the stack, and extremely high standards for security and optimization. Beyond the browser, we’re developing AR/VR, IoT, and voice recognition products that respect and protect privacy.
Grow: We’re dedicated to helping every team member develop. We give engineers trust and responsibility from day one, offer generous stipends for learning opportunities, and provide mentorship, especially around key leadership skills like collaboration and clear, kind communication.
Make Your Mark: We’re small but mighty, challenging the biggest behemoths on the internet with a staff the size of their marketing departments. That means every engineer can have an outsized impact on products that touch tens of millions of users—ultimately influencing how the entire internet works.
Mozilla Firefox’s Cloud Operations Team is looking for a Cloud Operations Engineer to help us build and maintain the infrastructure that supports Firefox’s many features. You’ll combine skills from DevOps, SRE, systems administration, and software development to influence product architecture and evolution, by crafting reliable cloud-based infrastructure for internal and external services.
The 10-member Cloudops team owns the infrastructure for about 70 services, ranging in scale from 2 users to 20 million concurrent connections, which are created by about a dozen different developer teams. Python is the most common language, though Nodejs, Go, Rust, and even Perl are also represented. When you take a look at the source of these services (most are publicly available in https://github.com/mozilla-services/ and https://github.com/mozilla/), you’ll notice that all are dockerized following the standards at https://github.com/mozilla-services/dockerflow.
Each service run by our team has a primary ops engineer as the main point of contact and a secondary to assist with engineering and on-call responsibilities, so no one person has to be familiar with every technology used in every service. Most services require on-call using pagerduty, but we regard pages as indicators of process problems and invest in the root cause analysis necessary changes to prevent failures from recurring. Although our top priority is keeping everything working well, you’ll often have the flexibility to balance your workload with services aligned with your skills and interests.
We standardize our infrastructure code across projects, so that your work in adding a feature to your own services’ infrastructure can easily be reused by the rest of the team. In our infrastructure Git repos, you’ll maintain, improve, and review automation, Python scripts, and monitoring code. If you've solved similar problems with other tools, it's ok to apply with limited expertise in the exact technologies we're using.
This position is available in North America and select locations in Europe, in office or remote. The team is currently composed of more remote than office-based engineers.
As a senior cloud operations engineer at Mozilla, you will…
- Maintain and improve automation and monitoring tools
- Learn some Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, and Helm to configure and manage services run in AWS and GCP
- Help developers adapt applications to run in Docker and Kubernetes
- Collaborate with agile developer teams to troubleshoot and improve services essential to Firefox
- Write, maintain, and review infrastructure code
- Fix pages when on call, and then improve the infrastructure to prevent the problem from recurring
- Add features to our cross-project infrastructure code, often in Python, so that improvements to your service can help other team members
- Collaborate on GitHub with teammates and developers
Your Professional Profile
- Degree and 3 years of experience (or 7 years experience) related to software development and operations
- Experience developing software or working with software development teams
- Experience administering cloud infrastructure, including CI/CD and configuration management
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
As our team works across multiple areas, you should be curious and interested in learning new things. You will have the opportunity to grow technically across the stack with mentorship from senior peers across the organization. We are excited to see any additional experience with:
- Database administration
- Open source software involvement
- Network architecture and administration
- Web application design and development
- Configuration management
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
- Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.