Are you excited about web technologies and the applications built on them that enrich users’ lives? Do you have a passion for helping engineers do their best work and grow in their careers? We are looking for an Engineering Manager for the Workers & Storage part of the broader DOM team here at Mozilla. This team is responsible for the Gecko implementation of a number of web standards including Service and Web Workers, IndexedDB, and localStorage that power the websites people use via Firefox. The team is distributed but has a number of members in our Berlin office.
As an Engineering Manager you will:
- Mentor and manage a team of 4-8 software engineers.
- Report to an engineering director or senior manager.
- Lead the completion of major initiatives on clear timelines.
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Anticipate headcount needs for the team and recruit to fill those needs.
- Be a member of the Mozilla community, working on initiatives with peers and other teams.
- Develop and communicate the roadmap, scope, and risks of your team’s projects.
- Work openly and build a relationship with our user base, open source community, and partners.
- Help your team members grow in their careers.
- Foster Mozilla’s cultural values on the team with positivity and enthusiasm.
- Be rewarded for strong performance with growth and leadership opportunities.
- 6 years of overall relevant work experience with at least 2 years of people management experience.
- Proven ability to successfully lead and ship desktop software projects.
- Proficiency with software development practices for issue triage, prioritization, and execution.
- Ability to take initiative in a loosely structured environment to lead your team to success.
- Experience managing geographically-distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
- Demonstrated effective and persuasive written and oral communication skills.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed below, and be interested in learning new things. We’re excited to see:
- Experience with software development in C++.
- Experience with creating/architecting programming languages, compilers and operating systems.
- Experience with best practices in software security and threat modeling.
- Experience with benchmarking and performance sensitive design.
- Working knowledge of C++.
- Working knowledge of the modern web platform.
Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online.
Mozilla is a global organization, and this role is available in our lovely Berlin or Toronto offices.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.