Mozilla is hiring a Senior UX Designer for our Emerging Technologies team. Emerging Technologies is Mozilla’s early Research & Development organization focused on developer tools, knowledge and community, including MDN web docs, voice assistants & speech technologies, mixed reality, and new explorations.
We're looking for a passionate, talented, and experienced Sr UX Designer to help explore, identify and shape novel opportunities for existing and future products; support existing R&D endeavors; and help facilitate a range of activities to enrich Mozilla’s user-centric and design-driven culture.
In this role, you will collaborate with researchers to observe behaviors and identify needs; with designers to identify and shape solutions; with engineers and product managers to implement ideas; and with developers to support the implementation process. Collaboration skills and ability to cross disciplinary barriers to articulate the value of user-centered design and advocate for the end user throughout the process are essential.
This role requires the ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative user research; drive design activities to analyze and translate field data; identify opportunities and translate them into concepts; develop powerful visuals and use storytelling to articulate scenarios, ideas and vision; and engage with diverse stakeholders to implement all concepts.
We’re a distributed team, often working remotely with each other over video and chat. Given the design and interactive nature of this position, you will need to be located in Portland, OR to easily join when necessary all design and creative activities.
Day to day you will...
- Work with product managers, researchers, and engineers to understand user needs and use their feedback to design intuitive, user-friendly experiences that meet their needs.
- Balance user needs with business objectives to ensure both sides are represented in design decision resulting in the best possible outcome for both.
- Translate concepts into scenarios, persona, user flows, customer journeys, wireframes, mockups and prototypes.
- Design low-fi concepts to get stakeholder alignment and solicit user feedback.
- Polish hi-fi prototypes to solidify user experiences and communicate design intentions to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other researchers to test designs, analyze feedback and iterate.
Your professional profile...
- You have a degree, or equivalent experience, in design and/or human-computer interaction and minimum 5 years experience in industry or consultancy settings.
- You have a creative edge and are skilled at leveraging user insights to imagine, design and implement new user-centered worlds and opportunities.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design and research methodologies and ability to apply them in diverse contexts – be it a product, service or system. Ideally, knowledgeable about participatory design and experimental research methods.
- Flexible, efficient and comfortable with ambiguity and balancing inspiration, bias, and rigorous research to move quickly from planning to conducting a project, synthesizing insights, and informing opportunities.
- Experienced scaling early concepts to shipping product.
- Excellent verbal and written communications abilities augmented with strong presentation skills. Effective at communication using a range of UX artifacts such as personas, IA, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and related documents.
- Ability to think strategically and work with various forms of input from critique, user testing and market feedback.
- Proficiency with research and design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Creative suite, InVision, Qualtrics, etc).
- Provide an online portfolio that exhibits detailed user research, design thinking, problem-solving and product development capabilities.
Extras (not required yet great plus)
- Experience designing interactions for voice systems, augmented and/or virtual reality.
- Experience building early prototypes based on informal or light product specifications and comfortable exploring products though rapid prototyping for demonstration and user testing purposes.
- Familiarity with current voice technologies and components (e.g. intent parsing, TTS, STT, and wakeword technologies).
- Experience with machine learning or AI systems.
- Understanding of accessibility standards.
- Experience in an open source environment.
- Experience working on a remote and distributed team.
Feel good about your work again.
At Mozilla, we’re serving humanity—by maintaining a safe, open internet—while also helping the individual humans employed here to reach their personal and professional goals. With a relatively small team serving hundreds of millions of people, a culture of exploration, and a commitment to mentorship, opportunities abound to learn and grow at Mozilla.
Our values drive our actions
- Purpose is built into our work, with our mission driving every decision
- We challenge assumptions, the status quo, ourselves, and each other
- We are transparent: in our code, our business partnerships, and our everyday interactions
- We seek out people from diverse backgrounds and with perspectives different from our own
- We pair purpose with performance and put people ahead of profit
Our impact is global
- 1000+ paid staff from over 30 countries
- Thousands of volunteer contributors across six continents
- 10 global offices: Beijing, Berlin, London, Paris, Mountain View, Portland, San Francisco, Taipei, Toronto and Vancouver
- Hundreds of home offices globally
Our benefits are world-class
- Flexible work environment (nearly half of Mozillians work remotely)
- Industry-leading paid parental leave (up to 26 weeks of fully paid leave for childbearing parents and up to 12 weeks for non-childbearing parents)
- Reimbursement for professional development (up to $3,000/year)
- A work setup including the latest hardware and software of your choice
Wellness programs—we reimburses up to $1700/year for expenses like child and elder care, mental wellness, and personal enrichment
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A lot of companies say they’re “mission-driven.” Our unique corporate structure guarantees that every decision we make upholds our mission: to make sure the internet stays available, safe, and welcoming to everyone. Beholden to neither shareholders nor investors, Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the not-for-profit Mozilla Foundation.
Along with 20,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozilla Corporation’s staff designs, builds, and distributes software that allows people to enjoy the internet on their own terms. Our flagship product — the Firefox browser — has expanded into a family of products that protects users and alerts them of risks. Mozilla’s Emerging Technologies group incubated and sponsors Rust — Stack Overflow’s “most loved programming language” for the last four years — and is building safe, private versions of virtual reality, internet of things, and voice recognition.