The DOM: Workers & Storage team at Mozilla has a long name but its mission is simple: provide excellent implementations in Firefox of the standardized localStorage, Cache API, IndexedDB, Web Worker, and Service Worker APIs. Web developers whose work is rendered by Firefox’s engine, Gecko, rely on these implementations for building modern web experiences. Firefox itself also uses these technologies. The team works together to enhance our existing implementations and with the broader web community to advance the capabilities of these standardized APIs.
Is debugging multi-threaded C++ code a challenge you love? How about improving the performance of an API that is used by top websites so that millions of Firefox users benefit? If you’re also enthusiastic about working collaboratively with a worldwide community, we'd love to hear from you.
Opportunities to collaborate with other browser teams abound, and working in the open is the norm. Firefox is a mature project always looking for new optimizations and we are trying to write some of our new components in Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You'll get feedback from real users and synthesize it into bug reports, feature designs, and strategic direction to make the web platform even better over time.
In this role you will:
- Increase Firefox’s web browsing speed and responsiveness.
- Debug and fix problems in our multi-threaded codebase.
- Improve Firefox’s stability and correctness.
- Analyze and reduce Firefox’s memory usage.
- Design and implement new web platform features in collaboration with the web community.
- Work cooperatively with other Mozillians to identify and correct issues.
Your professional profile:
- Proficient with C++.
- Creative problem-solver and skilled debugger and profiler.
- Experience working on a cross-platform native application.
- Ability to learn a large and complex multi-language code base.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with the modern web platform is a plus.
- Experience designing and building APIs would make you stand out.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.