The Emerging Technologies team at Mozilla Research is working to enable real-time, high performance virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) applications on the web, with the goal of enabling users to have compelling and safe experiences in this new technology area. One key part of that is the web browser - what are the user, device, and platform needs in order to deliver that experience?
We’re looking for a leader that is passionate about the potential future of virtual and augmented reality, building awesome teams, and shipping great but rapidly evolving software. One of our key advantages at Mozilla and with the Firefox brand is that our products and services are open source, so this role requires collaborating with the open source community, a diverse set of corporate partners, and other teams at Mozilla.
As a Research Engineering Manager you will:
- Lead a distributed team of 5-7 software engineers and 2-5 contractors building our browser support for virtual and augmented reality on desktop, mobile, and standalone headsets.
- Report to the Director of Mixed Reality, acting with full ownership of our suite of browser products.
- Create an inclusive environment which engages and challenges your team members, and exposes them to new opportunities.
- Set and communicate your team’s goals, and establish plans and schedules to attain them.
- Ensure that the software your team delivers is on time, high quality, measurable, and maintainable.
- Anticipate the right mix of capabilities required for your team to be successful, and recruit and hire new people as needed.
- Interact with third party companies and organizations to deliver delightful products to their customers.
- Be rewarded with growth and leadership opportunities for strong performance.
- 5 years of overall industry experience, with at least 2 years of hands-on people management or formal mentoring experience.
- Ability to successfully lead and ship complex software projects on time in a loosely structured environment.
- Can hire, coach, motivate, develop, and delegate to geographically distributed team members with different skill sets from your own.
- Can resolve problems, manage risk, lead change, and facilitate collaborative decision-making in a multi-functional team.
- Clear and succinct communication, and the ability to develop positive relationships with subordinates, peers, upper management, and partners.
- Can manage a team in a business environment with rapid change but also opportunity.
Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should ideally have experience with some of the areas listed below, and be passionate about learning new things. We’re excited to see:
- Experience with virtual or augmented reality.
- Experience with graphics-intensive applications.
- Experience with fullstack software development.
- Experience with non-US/EU markets.
- Working knowledge and experience shipping applications on one of the following programming languages: Java, C++, or Rust.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.