As a Devops Engineer for the TechOps team your main responsibility will be not only supporting our current infrastructure and how we can make improvements there but more importantly we need to focus on tomorrow and reducing operational overhead while automating much of our processes. Moz has always been a hybrid model with on-prem and public cloud resources but not as connected as we would like. The goals of us looking ahead are to be able to build, scale and migrate our applications seamlessly between public/private cloud and varying vendors. This position will further add key automation support skills to an already great team and department.
Every engineer owns the operational health of our systems and services and all the corresponding operational responsibilities, including on-call support, monitoring and alarming of our systems, optimizing our systems, and making improvement recommendations.
Each engineer is also responsible for contributing to/providing architecture ideas, performing/attending architecture reviews, research, and in some cases project leadership. Our team charter states that we will not be locked into proprietary tools and technology so we require our team to be open minded and ready to shift should the business needs change or we find something more suitable than what we are currently doing. We balance this flexibility with making sure we are not causing undue churn or stress on our development teams to constantly migrate to new services.
- Work collaboratively with a team comprised of Systems Engineers, Database Engineers, and Software developers
- Write, maintain, and standardize processes for Chef cookbook development
- Manage Chef Server
- Build continuous integration workflows and systems
- Participate in code-reviews across teams
- Automate manual tasks
- Participate in architectural design reviews
- Build test, stage and production infrastructure
- Document operational processes
- Collaborate with multiple software engineering teams to drive projects to success
- Participate in an on-call rotation
- Experience with Configuration management systems such as Chef or Ansible
- Proficient in Bash
- Proficient scripting in Perl, Python, or Ruby and the ability to pick up new languages
- A deep desire and ability to analyze and optimize systems
- A desire to automate manual tasks
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other engineers
- A desire to learn on the go and apply knowledge as needed
- Ability to research options beyond what you have experience with in order to solve a problem
- Experience with various virtualization technologies, such as VMWare.
- Network troubleshooting skills at both server and network elements. Eg. TCPDump, Wireshark, NetFlow analysis
Nice to haves
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- 3+ years work with Linux in a production environment
- Automating and standardizing builds, scaling on-prem and to cloud.
- Storage: Traditional filers or SDS systems. Netapp, EMC. NFS, Block, object.
- Network: Experience and understanding of basic to advanced networking concepts in regards to supporting traffic flow, load balancing, troubleshooting.
- Public Cloud: Amazon preferred. Google/ Azure. Hybrid solutions utilizing on-prem to cloud.
We build analytics software that gives our users the technical edge towards better marketing on the web. We are dedicated to the future of marketing analytics. We’re obsessed with it. We’ve been at it for over 10 years and we’re in it for the long haul. We’re a leader in our space receiving frequent recognition for our accomplishments (Over the years the list includes:Inc 5000, Deloitte Fast 500 and the Puget Sound Business Journal's fastest growing private companies).
Behind our software is a sea of Mozzers with a wide array of personalities, experiences, and expertise. We’ve worked hard and deliberately to build a cultural roadmap. It’s not just about ping pong games and company parties (though we have those, too!). Learn more about us below before you apply:
- TAGFEE is the glue that holds us together and binds how we do everything at Moz. As Mozzers, we aspire to live and breathe these values.
- We make the web a better place: (http://moz.com/about) and this is how we do it: (http://moz.com/products).
Sneak Peak at the Goodies
- Competitive salary, 401K, stock options
- Generous time off plus $3,000 per year towards your vacation!!
- Home internet and transportation subsidies
- 150% charitable donation match
- And so much more (feel free to grill us about the rest in the interview!)
Why Moz? Because we love what we do.
Moz is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing a work environment that is free from any form of discrimination. Moz values diversity and fosters mutual respect among its employees.
Moz participates in E-Verify