Moz is looking for a Lead Application Developer to join the Application Development team, responsible for developing customer facing applications.
The team represents Moz’s ability to deliver SEO data insights. Through the applications they build, Moz customers will be able to access insights, workflows, and aggregations of information above and beyond Moz’s core data offerings.
Application Development is a group of distributed teams with members throughout the USA and Canada. Team members located in the Seattle and Vancouver area have the option to work in our beautiful offices (pandemic permitting) and we do try get the whole team together in person on a regular basis.
What’s Important to Us
- Accountable. Is action-oriented. Takes initiative. Solves problems and takes ownership.
- Technically skilled. Understands the concepts underpinning their work. Knows their stack and tools and how to use them effectively. Able to quickly add additional technologies and capabilities. Excited to work on all parts of the application stack. Has opinions about how to do things well.
- Customer oriented. Takes responsibility for the quality and experience of the products they build and the value they provide to our customers. Invested in the success of Moz as a whole.
- Resourceful and adaptable. Looks for information and answers to questions proactively and shares that knowledge. Willing to take on unexpected responsibilities and challenges. Can function in situations without rigorous structure or process.
- Collaborative. Is team-focused and shares information openly. Able to communicate effectively within a distributed team and with different levels of understanding. Enlists others when solving problems to make sure all perspectives are considered. Asks for help when needed and looks for opportunities to offer help.
- Relationship builder. Builds strong relationships throughout Moz, and in the engineering org in particular. Works collaboratively with other developers, UX, product managers, etc.
- TAGFEE. Understands and embraces core Moz values. Contributes to creating a welcoming environment for all. Deeply committed to diversity and inclusion, and shows that through action.
- Diversity & Inclusivity. Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Work to build a successful, tight-knit team that enables all members to contribute to the success of projects.
- Work closely with Product Managers and User Experience Designers to deliver and iterate on new features for customers.
- Contribute to and promote engineering best practices and standards by providing leadership to peers, working closely with the Principal Engineers and engineering leadership, and providing cross-team feedback.
Experience We Want to See
- Experience with building products from the ground up - including shipping and supporting that software for growth.
- Multiple years of experience leading teams through the entire lifecycle of software projects.
- Experience with mentoring individuals throughout their career growth.
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience designing APIs and distributed backend systems
- Experience working remotely with a distributed team
- Great problem solving skills
- Understanding and support for pragmatic, agile software development practices
- Excellent accountability
Preferred Experience and Knowledge
- Experience working on a product-centric team
- Experience working in AWS
- Experience with SaaS products, especially mature products that have sustained growth over time
- Knowledge of search and SEO
What You’ll Work With
- React / Redux
- Messaging systems (e.g., SQS, NSQ)
- Databases (MySQL, MongoDB)
- Lots of other interesting tools
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world class-quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made. For both large enterprises looking to gain an edge in the increasingly complex and ever-changing world of search or an agency seeking an SEO platform to accelerate client growth, Moz has a solution. Check it out at www.moz.com.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We provide a US$3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees as well as monthly home internet access and cell phone stipends.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Generous paid time off and flexible work from home policies.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.
- Generous paid parental, medical and family leave policies to support you during major life events.