Moz is growing its Data Platform team under the Data Engineering org. This team is focused on all aspects of managing data. We build systems to acquire, extract, transform, score, and serve terabytes of SEO data from a large variety of sources. We are undergoing a transformation of our workloads to fully cloud-based services, migrating our data center big data stores, Mesos container platform and services to AWS.
If you like the challenge of streamlining data collection processes, managing and improving Big Data related infrastructure, and wrangling hundreds of millions of data points, consider joining us as we build our next-generation data procurement platform to produce the foundational data that fuels Moz’s product, services, and research.
What You'll Do
- Build, maintain, and support large-scale collections and processing systems.
- Assist in the migration of our Hadoop/HBase infrastructure to AWS EMR managed services that serves our keywords relationship metrics plus keywords suggestions and corpus.
- Be part of a Scrum team that designs, swarms, and pairs together.
- Implement and improve deployment, monitoring, testing, operational and foundational tools.
- Mentor junior developers.
- Be an excellent problem solver and be willing to roll up sleeves to tackle any issue thrown your way.
Experience We Want to See
- 5+ years experience architecting and developing large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience on Amazon EMR using EMRFS and S3 or HBase cluster using Hadoop’s HDFS and MapReduce infrastructure.
- Familiarity with Python, Java, Spark, Ruby and/or Node.js.
- Familiarity with source control. Github preferred.
- Experience with Linux and cloud-based environments.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code such as Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Ability to communicate with management, software architects, and developers about project status, APIs and overall system health.
- Work in an agile process – be able to break down work into bite-size chunks and communicate this to the team.
- Working knowledge of modern web technologies including cloud based APIs and protocols (REST, JSON)
Nice to Have:
- Data Science background or experience.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) experience with EC2, ECS and S3.
- Infrastructure as code provisioning tools such as Terraform/CloudFormation, etc.
- Participation in a technical community is a major plus: e.g., contributions to open-source projects, published works, presentations in academic conferences or industry circles.
- AWS networking such as VPC and security groups.
- AWS Analytics such as Athena, Glue, Sagemaker, Kinesis.
What You Will Be Working With
- Node.js ES6
- Java, Scala
- HBase/EMR clusters, Riak, Redis/Elasticache, MySQL
- AWS Services
- Thousands of servers
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world class-quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made. For both large enterprises looking to gain an edge in the increasingly complex and ever-changing world of search or an agency seeking an SEO platform to accelerate client growth, Moz has a solution. Check it out at www.moz.com.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We provide a $3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees as well as monthly home internet access and cell phone stipends.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Generous paid time off and flexible work from home policies.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- Twice a year merit pay increases.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.
- Generous paid parental, medical and family leave policies to support you during major life events.
We value diversity, equity and inclusion.