Moz is seeking a Senior Cloud Infrastructure Developer to collaborate on the creation and deployment of shared services for our developers to deliver world class search analysis tools.
The Infrastructure team is an application platforms team whose main focus is to provide governance and expertise on cloud services, containers, configuration management, CI/CD, monitoring, logging, and secrets management to our engineering workforce. We not only need our developers to be excellent at building and maintaining our application platforms and tools but we also are in need of engineers that are skilled researchers that have practiced leadership skills. Our developers are tasked with quickly providing solutions to engineering problems to enable faster development of features and whole products.
What’s Important to Us
- Cloud Subject Matter Expertise (SME) – Extensive experience with and knowledge of Cloud technologies and systems architecture. Knowledge and skills at a level that would allow for quick onboarding. Demonstrated skills and capability in building a DevOps culture, tools and platforms.
- Highly Technically Skilled – Strong core technical skills in Linux environments. Able to quickly learn additional technologies and capabilities in areas that are not yet strong. Interested and motivated to learn about the services and technologies the team is responsible for.
- Collaborative – Is able and willing to work well with a combination of functional and technical personnel of varying levels, knowledge, and skills. Able to tailor communication style to the situation. Differences or conflicts are resolved on an issues-focused basis and in the best interests of the organization.
- Motivated to deliver on project work – Strong bias for action while simultaneously honoring project delivery goals.
- Highly Resourceful - Solves problems versus looking to others to solve it for him/her. Naturally optimistic while able to retain objectivity.
- Continuous Development – Is intellectually curious and motivated to further develop one’s own capabilities. Seeks feedback and additional training or development opportunities. Fosters similar continuous development motivation among colleagues.
- Leadership qualities – Takes initiative and is motivated to move forward. Works to understand and clarify priorities with management. Navigates competing priorities and operational constraints. Has high expectations of self and team. Holds self, team, and management accountable.
- TAGFEE – Understands and embraces core Moz values of Transparent, Accountable, Generous, Fun, Empathetic, and Exceptional.
What You'll Do
- Maintaining proper monitoring and alarms for our systems – Make sure our services and systems are properly monitored. Create proper alarms that are not uselessly noisy and have associated runbooks.
- Customer Support – Our customers are internal development teams. Give quality and timely customer service to help people use our platforms and tools as well as help with emergent situations. This will include participation in Dev teams scrum processes as needed
- On-call – Participate in an on-call schedule to support shared services built by the infrastructure team. Work to learn our systems and become self-reliant. Escalate appropriately.
- Documentation - Write and update operational documentation for all systems and services as needed.
Improve current systems and services
- Improvement recommendations – Learn our current architecture and make recommendations on how to improve, continuously.
- Optimization – Optimize our systems and our services per business specifications.
- Practice Outage Situations – Participate in failure simulations that test our ability to recover from large scale issues in our environment.
- Post Mortems – Participate in and facilitate blameless post mortems that encourage learning, growth, and continuous improvement.
- User group feedback – Attend feedback sessions where we meet with our customers (Internal) and collect feature requests and bugs for our services.
- Scripting/Automation – Write code for the purpose of auditing systems and services, provisioning and configuration management, and/or automation of manual tasks.
New services design and implementation
- Prepare Architecture Reviews – Design and document architecture for review by our team and other engineering teams. Present material in architecture review meetings. Incorporate feedback and iterate through the process again if necessary.
- Participate in Architecture Reviews – Participate in Architecture reviews that our team hosts and join in reviews for other teams. Provide useful feedback to presenters and professionally challenge assumptions and incorrect information. Raise concerns when necessary.
- Lead Projects – We work as a team and we take turns leading projects. Create a high-level plan, break down the work, and make sure it’s sequenced correctly. Projects are worked on by the whole team so it’s essential that you are able to break down work in a way that allows everyone to contribute. Work cross-team when necessary.
- Drive adoption– Drive your project all the way from the idea to the adoption.
- Research – Research new technologies, industry standards, turn-key products, open source projects and anything else that could solve the problem you are presented with.
- Experiment – Try new things. Experiment, learn, and share with the rest of the team. Be curious.
Be a part of the team
- Participate in prioritization – Provide management with operational conditions, work breakdown, estimation, and technical details that they need to weigh against business needs in order to make prioritization decisions.
- Provide constructive feedback– Provide feedback to teammates and management to help produce excellent work and allow for professional growth.
- Participate in our process – Develop processes with the team and follow them. Give feedback, work to make things better, advocate when a process has outlived its usefulness. Help create new processes when necessary. Give trust and try new things even if it doesn’t completely make sense at first.
- Exhibit teamwork – Deliver results consistently. Dive into operational issues that arise. Help your teammates solve difficult issues. Answer your pages when on-call. Be available when you're expected to be available. Communicate often. Be succinct and respect everyone's time. Grow your expertise around our services.
- Participate in meetings – Show up on time. Pay attention. Shut your laptop. Contribute to the discussion.
- Customer focused – Enable our customers to use our services by providing great documentation, examples, and/or help them figure things out with hands on guidance.
Experience We Want to See
- 3+ years working in a medium to large scale AWS production environment
- Experience with IaC using Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience configuring routers, switches, and load balancers or AWS equivalent
- Experience running containers in production such as: Kubernetes, ECS, or Docker Swarm
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other engineers
- Proficient scripting in Ruby, Python, or Perl and the ability to learn new languages
- A deep desire and ability to analyze, optimize and automate systems
- Demonstrable understanding of computer science fundamentals
- A desire to learn on the go and apply knowledge as needed
- Ability to research options beyond what you have experience with in order to solve a problem
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- 3+ years working with Linux in a production environment
- Proficient in Bash
- Experience with a migration project from data center to AWS
- Experience mentoring or teaching others
- Understanding of object-oriented and functional programming concepts
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices architecture
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining hybrid networks
Moz is the most trusted authority in online search with powerful SEO and Local Search platforms to help marketers improve the position of their brands, business locations and competitive rank in search results. Moz’s platforms are powered by world class-quality data, both robust and fresh enough to serve as the foundation upon which crucial business decisions are made. For both large enterprises looking to gain an edge in the increasingly complex and ever-changing world of search or an agency seeking an SEO platform to accelerate client growth, Moz has a solution. Check it out at www.moz.com.
Some reasons why you’d want to work with us:
- You want to play a big part in a small but profitable company who are industry leaders.
- You do your best in a setting where excellent work is what’s valued—not face time (a good work-life balance is just how we do things!)
- You value authenticity and a work environment that values who you are and what you can do.
- You’re looking for a big challenge that involves lots of variety, collaboration, inventiveness, and on your toes thinking.
- You want to work alongside people who are passionate, friendly, and helpful.
Our benefits include:
- A strong commitment to work-life balance. We provide a $3,000 per calendar year vacation expense reimbursement for all employees as well as monthly home internet access and cell phone stipends.
- Employer match contributions on retirement plans.
- Generous paid time off and flexible work from home policies.
- Personal career development including 10 face to face career coaching sessions a year.
- Twice a year merit pay increases.
- 100% match on charitable contributions up to $5,000/year.
- Generous paid parental, medical and family leave policies to support you during major life events.
We value diversity, equity and inclusion.