Moz is a leader in the SEO space. 5 billion searches are performed every day on the web. We’ve built the largest community of SEOs, brought radical transparency to the industry, have 600K active community members and a 9/10 customer satisfaction rating. We’re a Series C startup, and seeking someone who embodies our anchor TAGFEE values.
The Controller will lead our Accounting function and work closely with our CFO and other business stakeholders to carry us forward in our next phase of growth. In this role, you’ll manage and mentor a team to oversee our books, monthly close and cash. Guide rev rec and financial controls. Manage equity accounting. And put on your creative hat on how best to structure sales contracts, accelerate working capital, and design and execute new methods & systems which will spur the expansion of our business.
This is very much a “roll up your sleeves” hands-on position, requiring technical skill and business acuity to lead a focused startup team. Reporting to the CFO, you will be empowered to exercise your role to its fullest and create lasting, measurable impact within the company.
- Working with our CFO and our accounting team based in Seattle, manage all day-to-day accounting and finance operations for Moz
- Oversee operations of ecommerce, accounts receivable, revenue recognition, fixed assets, payroll, and T&E reporting
- Manage a fast month, quarterly, and annual close process, including reviewing journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations
- Mange cash and all banking transactions. Reconcile cash to bank accounts on regular cadence
- Manage the annual budgeting process, working with department heads company-wide to create budgets and regularly review results against budget
- Guide revenue recognition. Be creative partner in helping guide the business
- Manage the ins & outs of equity accounting and cap table maintenance
- Be primary point of contact for annual audits (financial statements, 401(k), bank) and manage audit process. Ensure PBC items are being prepared timely
- Compliance with regulation: Ensure timely payment of all taxes and returns, managing relationship with external prepares, and manage regulatory compliance
- Direct supervision of Accounting team including leadership of technical skills, and career growth
- Develop, maintain, and monitor accounting processes, policies, and procedures in accordance with GAAP. Lead technical accounting projects and white papers
- 6 years in progressive financial leadership roles including experience as Controller. A proven track record of building and leading strong, technically sound finance functions is necessary
- Strong technical knowledge of US GAAP and software revenue recognition
- Experience working at a SaaS or Cloud software company, with the ability to creatively drive results within dynamic, growth-oriented high throughput environments
- Experience working with a mid-market ERP (Dynamics GP/AX, Netsuite, Intacct, etc)
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to analyze large data sets, Advanced MS Excel
- Experience coaching and leading a small team
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA preferred
Here at Moz, we believe there is a better way to do marketing. A more valuable, less invasive way. Better marketing is intentional. It’s being responsive to customers’ needs, building a community, and earning brand loyalty. It’s creating an environment that improves your industry — an environment where customers are earned rather than bought. We’re obsessed with doing better marketing, and our mission is to help people achieve it.
Our focus lies in search engine optimization (SEO), a wonderfully multi-disciplinary practice that touches on nearly every other facet of marketing. It also happens to be one of the least understood and least transparent aspects of great marketing, and we see that as an opportunity: We're excited to simplify SEO for everyone through our software, education, and community.
Building on our SMB self-service roots, we're growing our core products, Moz Pro and Moz Local, to resonate upmarket. We offer industry-leading tools for tracking search rankings, crawling and auditing websites, actively managing location data, and monitoring their reputations online, helping organizations ensure their marketing efforts reach their full potential.
Behind our software is a sea of Mozzers with a wide array of personalities, experiences, and expertise. We’ve worked hard and deliberately to build a cultural roadmap. It’s not just about ping pong games and company parties (though we have those, too!). Learn more about it below before you apply:
- TAGFEE is the glue that holds us together and binds how we do everything at Moz. As Mozzers, we aspire to live and breathe these values.
- We make the web a better place: (http://moz.com/about) and this is how we do it:(http://moz.com/products).
- Not convinced we are awesome yet? Check out our video “Why we love Moz” and our amazing benefits package.
Sneak Peak at the Goodies
- Competitive salary, 401K, stock options
- Generous time off plus $3,000 per year towards your vacation!!
- Home internet and transportation subsidies
- 150% charitable donation match
- And so much more (feel free to grill us about the rest in the interview!)
Moz is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing a work environment that is free from any form of discrimination. Moz values diversity and fosters mutual respect among its employees.