Moz is looking for an engineering manager for the Moz Local product development team, responsible for building applications for enterprise and SMB businesses to manage the on-line web presence of their physical locations. Product capabilities include location data management, local search and other location-level online analytics, and associated services.
The team is part of the larger product engineering group at Moz which owns the development of Moz’s core SaaS products, and the growth of our product offerings into “One Moz.” Product engineering collaborates across roles and disciplines to deliver tools for digital marketers in all industries and aspects of Search.
Moz Local is a distributed team with members in Nashville, St. Louis, Roanoke, the greater Seattle area, and Argentina. We work remotely and in the Moz office, with regular travel to get the whole team together.
What’s Important to Us
- Servant-Leadership. Our teams thrive through coaching and enabling rather than getting directions. We strive to be supportive, patient, and people-focused.
- Technical savvy. Being technically knowledgeable is good, but having an informed point-of-view for how to make good decisions about and deliver quality technical work is key for sustaining quality products.
- A commitment to shipping. It’s important to deliver, and we value getting new products and features to customers regularly.
- Curiosity and motivation to learn. We’re always looking for opportunities for development and growth.
- Product and and customer focus. Our team is invested in the experience of the products we build beyond the code.
- Collaboration. Team-focused communication, knowledge-sharing, and problems solving make us more effective.
- Diversity & Inclusivity. Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Lead a distributed team of 9 full-stack developers and help them grow their performance, technical skill, and professional capabilities
- Coach the team in delivering applications that manage local-business web and search visibility, perform high-volume data processing, and integrate with partners like Google, Facebook, and Apple
- Be a source of technical knowledge for product, partner, and vendor relationships
- Represent the value of technical investments and retiring debt to the product development process
- Contribute to product strategy and promote ways of working that create a reliable flow of new products and features to customers
- Be part of building a culture of collaborative product- and customer-focused development across engineering teams.
- Help build technology and practices that will support growth and sustain operation of Moz products over the next several years
Experience We Want to See
- 2+ years of experience leading engineers as manager with hiring responsibility.
- 5+ years experience delivering products or services using web technologies.
- At least 2 years experience on a team whose work directly affected customer or end-user product experience
- Experience leading distributed or remote teams.
- Understanding and support for pragmatic, agile software development practices
- Experience building SaaS products, especially mature products that have sustained growth over time.
- Significant experience as a software engineer or SDET.
- Experience with Node.js, React, etc. or similar frameworks. (as a developer or leading teams).
- Experience using metrics and data to drive software engineering and product-development.
Who You’ll Work With
- A creative, committed, and collaborative development team working with Node.js + React on Linux; MySQL, RethinkDB, and Postgres; Docker, NSQ, and lots of other interesting tools
- A cross-functional product group balancing new feature development with sustaining and expanding the current high-growth product.
- Other engineering leaders who are working to continually improve and evolve the culture and practice of software development at the company, bringing new ways of working and diverse perspectives to our organization.
We build software to help marketers do better marketing. We are dedicated to the future of SEO and we are a long-time leader in our space. We receive frequent recognition for our accomplishments and most recently received 2nd place honors in the PSBJ Best Places to Work.
Behind our software is a sea of Mozzers with a wide array of personalities, experiences, and expertise. We’ve worked hard and deliberately to build a cultural roadmap. Learn more about us below before you apply:
- TAGFEE is the glue that holds us together and binds how we do everything at Moz. As Mozzers, we aspire to live and breathe these values.
- We make the web a better place: (http://moz.com/about) and this is how we do it: (http://moz.com/products).
Sneak Peak at the Goodies
- Competitive salary, 401K, stock options
- Generous time off plus $3,000 per year towards your vacation!!
- Home internet and transportation subsidies
- 150% charitable donation match
- And so much more (feel free to grill us about the rest in the interview!)
Why Moz? Because we love what we do.
Moz is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing a work environment that is free from any form of discrimination. Moz values diversity and fosters mutual respect among its employees.
Moz participates in E-Verify