We have an exciting and unique opportunity for a skilled and energetic Software Architect to join the realtor.com team in our Vancouver, BC office. You’ll have the chance to work in a startup culture with the support of a large company. You will "wear many hats” planning system design, building products, and directly interacting with customers. The team has a wealth of great real estate experience. You’ll be building out product capabilities that digitize the entire real estate transaction process and help bring real-time data to agents, consumers, and vendors.
In this role, your responsibilities will touch on all stages of the software engineering lifecycle: understanding customer requirements, designing the application, writing/testing/deploying code, and monitoring the system for issues. There will also be opportunity to exercise your highly developed collaboration abilities interacting with other technology teams on broader cross-organization initiatives. The ideal candidate is a generalist who enjoys challenge and variety, and is familiar with a "Lean Startup" approach to building a business.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Product Management and User Experience regarding product definition, schedule, scope, and project-related decisions
- Design, develop, deliver, and maintain features and applications that will excite and please a user base of millions of users
- Develop solutions that are high quality, scalable, reliable, and reusable
- Provide technical leadership to a talented team of data engineers and backend developers on processing 3rd party data feeds, logs and a variety of large datasets and creating compelling consumer experiences using them.
- Work with data scientists on challenging problems that involve AI / Data Science in domains such as natural language processing and generating insights from data.
- Work collaboratively in an Agile/Scrum team to plan sprints, expand stories into tasks, work on removing impediments, and execute at top velocity
- Investigate technologies that can be leveraged to introduce new innovations in meeting business and customer goals
- Provide input into process improvement initiatives to improve quality and timeliness of deliverables with high predictability
Education, Skills and Experience:
- 8+ years of hands on professional software development experience architecting, building, deploying, and maintaining apps at scale.
- Strong experience in one AWS and Node JS.
- Strong backend services / API development experience, preferably using Node.js and REST/JSON
- Technical Lead experience leading a product team and setting day to day technical direction
- Successful track record of delivering on projects, both individually and as a team member
- Experience with SQL and NOSQL system design and development.
- Experience with server and client performance optimization for high traffic web applications (Preferred)
- Experience with consumer products (Preferred)
- Experience with unit test frameworks, and test automation tools is a definite asset (Preferred)
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field.
Personal characteristics include:
- You are passionate about creating world-class web experiences for our customers and will work hard to achieve this.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to clearly communicate technical concepts in simple terms
- Passion for learning, continuous improvement, sharing and working in a team environment
- You take pride in writing clean, quality code, but can balance this with business practicality
- You hold a point of view and aren’t afraid of challenging assumptions, but are humble enough to recognize when you are mistaken.
- You are able to learn quickly and effectively apply new knowledge, demonstrating the desire to stay in touch with emerging technologies
- Passion about real estate or experience with buying/selling a home is a big plus (but not required). We love real estate and it would be great if you did, too!