Move, Inc. and realtor.com is looking for a Chief Economist to lead the company’s efforts to develop and translate real estate data and trends into consumer and industry insights that position realtor.com as the first place people think of for all things home. The role reports to the Chief Marketing Officer but spans teams and disciplines across the company and acts as a spokesperson to the industry and to media.
The Chief Economist should have a strong background in economics and analytics and other appropriate disciplines. However, these skills need to be balanced with the ability to communicate effectively to others, and rapidly gain the respect of his/her peers as well as the media and the consumer and industry audiences. He/she should be able to speak with a strong point of view to past trends as well as be willing to opine on what we might see in the future, based on data, analysis and intuition.
The Chief Economist should have the experience and ability to collaborate with other economists, analysts and leaders in the housing industry. Of special importance is the ability to work directly with the Chief Economist of the National Association of Realtors. He/she should become known as a “Go To” source for insights into key housing market trends.
The ideal candidate must have prior experience speaking with influential audiences, on television and radio and in front of large crowds with sufficient media presence for use in presentations, speeches and media relations. He/she should have a demonstrated ability to create and present material appropriate for diverse consumer and industry audiences, the financial press, academics and agencies.
The person should be very engaging, ‘down to earth,’ and personable so that people want to hear what he/she has to say and not feel that they need to have a dictionary to translate the communication. At the same time the Chief Economist will need to have credibility and earn the respect of his/her academic peers and be able to work effectively with experts in economic data and Housing Policy.
The ideal candidate will be located in Santa Clara.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and build the economics team, identifying and nurturing talent, driving collaboration and setting direction for the team
- Personally and through the team and other company resources, create data and insights content that is published on realtor.com or through media
- Present insights at industry events and support the realtor.com brand
- Speak to media and industry on the latest market trends and proprietary insights
- Write research/commentary to showcase our unique insights to consumers through articles on research.com and to the media and industry through research.realtor.com
- Oversee production of ongoing reports such as monthly inventory metrics and hottest markets and quarterly forecasts as well as regular/monthly? (it’s more than periodic) and ad hoc research articles and projects that support Communications team objectives
- Respond to media requests for interviews and ensure fulfillment of media requests for data on a timely basis
- Foster partnerships with Comms, Editorial, Marketing, Industry Relations, Sales, Events, and product teams to publish research, represent and enhance the realtor.com brand, and add value to existing products
- Partner and collaborate with the Chief Economist and research team at the National Association of Realtors
Education, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in statistics, economics, business, computer science or a related area. Masters degree or PhD preferred.
- 11+ years of experience in business/data analysis and economic research. 4+ years experience with real estate or housing research.
- Strong quantitative orientation with excellent research and analytic skills that will support strong market analysis
- Ability to assimilate large amounts of information and data and create a compelling story supported by the facts
- Comfort presenting to live audiences and articulating thoughts on the spot
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong media presence and large group presentation skills
- Media experience, formal training for interacting with media and existing media relationships preferred
- Deep knowledge of housing and economic datasets
- Ability to partner with individuals and groups from multiple functions and organizations, especially ability to collaborate with other real estate analysts
- Outstanding stage presence and ability to communicate appropriately and effectively to a consumer television or radio audience as well as a large in-person meeting of industry peers
- Ability to convey difficult subjects to ideas and sound bites that the average layperson can understand and attract media attention