Full-time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Contiguous U.S.
Application Deadline: February 17, 2023
MoveOn is a people-powered force for progress. We wield independent political power by bringing millions together to take action to create a country with a place of honor and dignity for everyone—where all are welcome, we take care of one another, and where everyone is set up to thrive.
For more than a generation, MoveOn has been a bulwark against the radical right and has channeled millions of voices to end wars, protect democracy, and advance justice for all. We've built political power for progressive change through mobilizing the left to Democrats so that we can advance our vision of an America for all.
MoveOn is the largest multi-issue digital first political campaigning organization in the country. We drive rapid-response campaigns at scale on a multitude of key issues at high-impact moments while building sustainable campaigns that resonate and grow over time. Whether its democracy, health care, foreign policy, economic justice, immigration or otherwise, MoveOn provides our members with timely ways to take action for change.
We are looking for a seasoned political operative to serve as our Political Director to oversee and drive MoveOn’s presidential, federal, and statewide electoral work. This individual will directly supervise a small team but also must galvanize the resources across the organization to effectively implement our electoral program, which all teams within the organization have a hand in. The Political Director is a critical member of MoveOn’s Program Team, which develops and executes electoral strategy and programs for the organization and also provides overall political guidance to the organization. The Political Director will need to possess a digital-first mindset and be ready to roll up their sleeves and jump in.
Management & Internal Organizing
- Manage, support, and develop the political staff while also managing laterally and up to bring resources to bear from within the organization to execute our electoral program.
- Ensure transparency in our electoral program across the organization, educate and keep staff informed of political developments and strategy to advance our elections program, and regularly communicate and collaborate with teams within the organization to ensure efficient and effective program execution.
- Lead subsections of our organizational planning processes, including pieces of our overall program’s strategic plans and the election team’s campaign and work plans.
- Design and manage the electoral program and budget for the organization, with a strong equity lens.
Political Strategy & Campaigning
- Develop and implement political strategies in service of MoveOn members that enhance and improve the impact of MoveOn’s electoral work and campaigning -- against the GOP’s agenda, and for the American people.
- Track political landscape and developments in all federal and key non-federal races across the country. Develop the prioritization or tiers of candidates the organization is considering and oversee MoveOn endorsements in consultation with our Endorsement Campaign Manager, MoveOn leadership and membership; Determine strategic ways MoveOn can leverage its strengths to make an impact in each race.
- In partnership with key stakeholders across the organization, lead and drive our electoral campaigning work, including putting together electoral campaign plans, overseeing the project management, mobilizing money, recruiting volunteers, setting up paid communication, and more, to help MoveOn-endorsed candidates win.
- Oversee or directly write, and sign off on public content such as emails, surveys, social media posts, press releases, video scripts, and more.
- Develop and test innovative electoral tactics to identify breakthroughs.
- Track MoveOn member sentiment in any potential primary races where MoveOn may engage.
- Work closely with the campaigns team to identify rapid response moments to shape the political narrative in favor of our movement partners and endorsed candidates.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with organizational allies around political electoral strategy. Regularly communicate and identify when and how we can best partner and drive the organization toward an effective partnership on electoral work.
- Represent MoveOn in external election-related convenings, meetings, conferences, discussions, etc.
- Talk on the record with reporters about MoveOn’s electoral endorsements and strategies.
- Assess and manage organizational risks associated with MoveOn’s electoral work and campaigning.
- Proven commitment to and a substantial understanding of racial justice, equity, and dismantling systems of white supremacy and other forms of oppression in work culture and in external campaigning.
- Strong understanding of the national electoral landscape and how best to make strategic impact at scale on a national level.
- Significant electoral campaigning experience with a minimum of two election cycles in a senior management role in either a candidate campaign(s), an advocacy organization, or a PAC, preferably managing large-scale or statewide political or voter engagement campaigns.
- 1-2 years experience or familiarity with digital campaigning.
- Experience with, and proven ability in managing teams, supporting strong morale, and developing staff.
- An independent and strong leader who is able to drive projects and programs to completion in a fast-paced environment, including a proven ability for and the understanding of the importance of internal organizing to advance and advocate for your program.
- Strong strategic and campaign planning skills and commitment to ongoing processes that ensure transparency and communication in carrying out the work.
- A strong political network and relationships with leaders within the progressive landscape.
- Has developed, written, and executed successful campaign plans that demonstrate strategic focus, electoral prowess, and creativity.
- Proficient with political data, polling, latest technologies, and best practices in the field and the ability to learn various MoveOn systems for data tracking, email, mobile, volunteer recruitment, and fundraising.
Reports to: Senior Political Advisor
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Classification, Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $150,803.19. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays. We contribute 5% to your 401(k) after six months of employment. We also offer a $1000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.