Full-time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Nonprofit Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the Continental U.S.
Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer: We have flexibility to hire a Software Engineer or Senior Software Engineer, so please apply to this posting even if you believe you may be overqualified.
Application deadline: Application deadline is Saturday August 8th at 5pm ET.
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization of 90-odd folks that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2020 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
To enable this work, we are hiring a passionate problem-solver who will take our technology platform to the next level. Join our team! Together, we will brainstorm, collaborate, design, build, and ship code that runs at massive scale.
About MoveOn’s Systems
MoveOn’s millions of members generate significant website and digital tool traffic that creates interesting scaling problems to solve. We have terabytes of data that drive ambitious analytics, fundraising, and engagement programs. At MoveOn, making decisions with data is a core part of how all work gets done. Like many nonprofit tech teams, we're a small, scrappy crew, wear many hats, and work across the software stack and across the organization. We work closely with fundraisers, multi-channel campaigners, field organizers, analysts, and storytellers to implement and scale their ambitious plans.
While we often split up who is working on which projects, everyone on the team works on all parts of our systems. We have ~10 production systems—and two systems running at significant scale—getting thousands of requests a minute during spikes of member energy. We believe in choosing the best language, platform, and tool for the job and are not language zealots, but we also recognize the switching cost of straddling too many languages.
Examples of recent and ongoing work:
- Building and maintaining data pipelines between systems and our data warehouse.
- Designing, building and launching custom Django apps that extend the functionality of vendor tools.
- Coordinating and reviewing Spoke code contributions from open-source developers and contractors.
- Supporting campaigners, field organizers and UX and product staff creating microsites using WordPress.
- Writing complex, reusable targeting SQL queries to support experimentation and campaigning needs in bulk mail (ActionKit), SMS blast (Upland Mobile Commons), P2P SMS (Spoke).
- Vetting third-party apps for security risks.
- Write and review code and lead projects that span the entire software stack, including prototyping, front-end development, API development, high-performance back-end applications, database design, and system architecture.
- Create and contribute to open source projects that share MoveOn’s innovations back with the larger developer community.
- Contribute to software architecture and build vs. buy discussions and decisions.
- Contribute to team discussions on building an equitable working environment.
- Manage, upmanage, translate and prioritize requests from technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Learn, grow, and succeed in your career.
Required skills and experience
- Fluent in at least one programming language and web development platform.
- Interested in learning and diving into new languages, tools, and frameworks.
- Determined and thorough—can see a project through from idea to prototyping, design, production, scaling, and beyond.
- Curious, and a committed learner and problem-solver.
- Engaged or interested in effective planning, communication and work management processes.
- Able to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely.
- Comfortable proactively reaching out to, thought partnering with, and negotiating with stakeholders across the broader organization.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification, salary, and benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; 401k plan with employer contribution; employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time, and paid family medical leave; staff holidays; professional development budget of $1,000; monthly cell phone and internet reimbursement of $175 per month; home office subsidy and everything needed for a home office.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.