Full-Time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the U.S.
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We organize to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.
MoveOn has a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. We are working to defeat Donald Trump and the GOP in 2020 by building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement that will give voters something to vote for, not just against—and we're also working to defend communities that are on the front lines of Trump and GOP attacks, including immigrants, people of color, the LGBTQ community, and women. In service of that mission, in 2019 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
We are looking for a seasoned political operative to serve as our Political Director to oversee and drive MoveOn’s presidential, federal, and statewide electoral work in 2019, 2020, and beyond. This individual will directly supervise a small team but also must galvanize the resources across the organization to effectively implement our electoral program, which all teams within the organization have a hand in. The Political Director is a critical member of MoveOn’s Program Team, which develops and executes electoral strategy and programs for the organization and also provides overall political guidance to the organization. The Political Director will need to possess a digital-first mindset and be ready to roll up their sleeves and jump in.
Management & Internal Organizing
- Manage, support, and develop the Elections Team while also managing laterally and up to bring resources to bear from within the organization to execute our electoral program.
- Ensure transparency in our electoral program across the organization, educate and keep staff informed of political developments and strategy to advance our elections program, and regularly communicate and collaborate with teams within the organization to ensure efficient and effective program execution.
- Lead subsections of our organizational planning processes, including pieces of our overall program’s strategic plans and the election team’s campaign and work plans.
- Develop and manage the electoral program and budget for the organization, with a strong equity lens.
- Support the development, growth, and morale of Elections Team members.
- Advise on the overall program direction of the organization.
Political Strategy & Campaigning
- Track political landscape and developments in all federal and key non-federal races across the country, identifying potential opportunities for MoveOn impact in electoral campaigns and applying strategic judgment to inform MoveOn’s interactions with elected officials.
- Drive our electoral campaigning work across the organization to help MoveOn-endorsed candidates win their elections and know that MoveOn was a critical component of why they won. Includes overseeing and directly drafting electoral campaign plans, as well as project management across the organization to ensure all of MoveOn’s resources are brought appropriately to bear to help candidates win.
- Oversee directly write, and sign off on public content such as emails, surveys, social media posts, press releases, video scripts, and more.
- Develop the prioritization or tiers of candidates the organization is considering and oversee MoveOn endorsements in consultation with our Federal Endorsements Manager, MoveOn leadership and membership; Determine strategic ways MoveOn can leverage its strengths to make an impact in each race.
- Develop and test innovative electoral tactics to identify breakthroughs.
- Track MoveOn member sentiment in any potential primary races where MoveOn may engage.
- Offer strategic guidance to MoveOn’s Campaign Directors on our issue advocacy work.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with organizational allies around political electoral strategy. Regularly communicate and identify when and how we can best partner and drive the organization toward an effective partnership on electoral work.
- Represent MoveOn in external election-related convenings, meetings, conferences, discussions, etc.
- Talk on the record with reporters about MoveOn’s electoral endorsements and strategies.
- Proven commitment to and a substantial understanding of racial justice, equity, and dismantling systems of white supremacy and other forms of oppression in work culture and in external campaigning.
- Strong understanding of national electoral landscape and how best to make strategic impact at scale on a national level.
- Significant electoral campaigning experience with a minimum of two election cycles in a senior management role in either a candidate campaign(s), an advocacy organization, or a PAC, preferably managing large-scale or statewide political or voter engagement campaigns.
- 1-2 years experience or familiarity with digital campaigning.
- Experience with, and proven ability in managing teams, supporting strong morale, and developing staff.
- An independent and strong leader who is able to drive projects and programs to completion in a fast-paced environment, including a proven ability for and the understanding of the importance of internal organizing to advance and advocate for your program.
- Strong strategic and campaign planning skills and commitment to ongoing processes that ensure transparency and communication in carrying out the work.
- A strong political network and relationships with leaders within the progressive landscape.
- Has developed, written, and executed successful campaign plans that demonstrate strategic focus, electoral prowess, and creativity.
- Proficient with political data, polling, latest technologies, and best practices in the field and the ability to learn various MoveOn systems for data tracking, email, mobile, volunteer recruitment, and fundraising.
Reports to: MoveOn’s Chief of Program
Location: MoveOn is a virtual organization. The Political Director can live anywhere in the United States. Must be willing to travel domestically for up to 25% of their time.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time. Competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave; 10 days accrued paid sick time; and reimbursement of home office expenses.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.