Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
*MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application process*
MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. MotorTrend Group, a Warner Bros. Discovery company, is the largest automotive media company in the world, bringing together MotorTrend TV and a vast automotive digital, direct-to-consumer, social, and live event portfolio, including MOTORTREND, HOT ROD, ROADKILL, AUTOMOBILE and more than 20 other industry-leading brands. With a monthly audience of 26 million across web, TV and print, and 110 million social followers, culminating in 1.3 billion monthly impressions across all platforms, MotorTrend Group encompasses television’s #1 network for automotive fans, a leading automotive YouTube Channel and MotorTrend+, the only subscription streaming service dedicated entirely to the motoring world. MotorTrend Group serves to embrace, entertain and empower the motoring world.
An institution in the automotive industry, we have been delivering premium content, in depth analysis, and culturally relevant material since 1949. We celebrate our heritage, while boldly looking to the future — reimagining motor entertainment for a broader, more diverse audience. MotorTrend Group has remained ahead of the automotive world and developed the single most relevant resource for any auto enthusiast and in-market shopper.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
The Head of Corporate Communications (HCC) will serve as a key partner to the President and Executive Leadership Team (ELT) of MotorTrend Group (MTG). The HCC will take a leadership role in crafting key internal and external communications as well as lead various projects including shaping press releases, media alerts, stories, managing executive profiles and list submissions, generating briefing notes, talking points, speeches, and Q&As. The ideal candidate will work proactively to secure appropriate opportunities among industry and consumer media to generate print, online, social media and broadcast opportunities to generate maximum, positive publicity for the Company’s branding, marketing, special projects, community outreach and awards campaigns. The HCC will be responsible for supporting the brand narrative of MTG by building and managing external profiles of key business leaders including managing communications activities for the ELT.
This position is based in our El Segundo, CA offices and will include hybrid schedule opportunities.
Key responsibilities and essential duties of position:
Strategic Planning – Development and implementation of an integrated strategic communications and marketing plan designed to more clearly define MTG brand messaging among our key stakeholders (both internal and external), broaden awareness of our brands and platforms, and increase visibility of our brands across relevant audiences.
Thought Leadership – Develop thought leadership platforms for the organization leveraging members of the ELT and subject matter experts, as appropriate. Establish and maintain relationships with relevant organizations. Identify and secure key speaking opportunities. Draft speeches, op-eds, and articles for submission to relevant publications and outlets.
Media Relations/Public Relations – Oversee all aspects of media relations/public relations. Develop and implement a public relations strategy that gains positive exposure for the organization and its marketing programs and initiatives in the consumer community. Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new ones with relevant journalists, editorial boards, and other appropriate outlets to generate broader coverage of MTG’s mission, programs and priorities. Respond to media requests for information and oversee development of press/information kits, news releases, news materials, and fact sheets on organizational programs and initiatives. Seek pro-active media opportunities and op-ed placements. Facilitate media interviews with appropriate spokespersons and prepare appropriate briefing memoranda, Talking Points and Q&A documents. Provide media coaching and interview training to staff, as appropriate.
Collateral Materials – Oversee development and management of all collateral communications materials, including annual reports, pamphlets, and audio-visual presentations such as board decks, pitch decks, internal meeting decks etc.
Agency Relations – Research, vet, retain, and oversee the use of outside media and PR agencies and manage vendor relationships and contracts.
Budget – Oversee communications budget in support of MTG’s mission and objectives.
Team Management – oversee, develop and leverage a team of PR, social media and communications professionals.
- Identify and liaise with key forums, networking and thought-leadership opportunities for executives within the Warner Brothers Discovery (WBD) network.
- Act as liaison between MTG and Joint Venture partner WBD on relevant internal events / communications strategies.
- Partner with teams across the organization including Marketing, People & Culture, Sales, and Programming & Development to provide communications support.
- Work closely with the President and ELT to manage crises communications/conflict situations and may be asked to serve as spokesperson
- Manage day-to-day transactional media relations, maintaining strong relationships with business and trade reporters, to manage incoming project requests and announcements.
- Build proactive and reactive media relations strategy and story management across several growing verticals.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- At least 10 years of corporate and/or crisis communications experience in the media industry.
- Bachelor's Degree. Master's Degree is a plus.
- Passion for all things automotive is a plus.
- Willingness to travel
- Must be willing to work in El Segundo, California
- Must have work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be willing to follow all Company Covid protocols
- Strong leader with excellent communications skills to advise top executives, work across various departments, supervise teams and manage external clients and partners.
- Strategic thinking ability combined with tactical implementation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve and collaborate with leadership, creative partners, and peers across a highly matrixed, fast-paced, innovative, and energetic corporate culture.
- Exceptional strategic and sound judgment and sensitivity to challenging issues and ability to exercise a high level of discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Demonstrated success in crafting a substantive and cohesive set of messages for an organization, which has been successfully communicated to key audiences and resulted in a measurable difference.
- Proven, exceptional writing skills, including strategic positioning of messaging (samples required).
- Proficient copy-editing skills.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
*A warning about recruitment scams*
Unscrupulous individuals sometimes pose as MotorTrend Group recruiters and mislead jobseekers into providing sensitive personal information (such as social security numbers) or paying fees as a condition of submitting an application to MotorTrend Group or obtaining a job at MotorTrend Group. These individuals or entities posing as recruiters are not affiliated with MotorTrend Group and do not act on behalf of MotorTrend Group. Always utilize the MotorTrend Group Careers page https://boards.greenhouse.io/motortrendgroup to find available openings and whenever submitting a job application to MotorTrend Group, and know that MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application.