Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
*MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application process*
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Roadkill, Faster with Finnegan, Top Gear America, Motor MythBusters, Kevin Hart’s Muscle Car Crew, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Network Director, Hot Rod is responsible for guiding the editorial content and direction for multiple aftermarket performance title under the Hot Rod brand. The main job responsibility is leading a team of creative editorial staff and managing their work across all print, web, digital, video and social properties and to ensure that each title has consistent brand messaging, regardless of the platform. Duties include, but not limited to:
- Oversee content direction and output in each brand vertical
- Oversee social strategy implementation in each brand vertical
- Develop content ideas
- Maintain final approval for content
- Assist staff in content creation when needed
- Work with GMs and Editors to develop editorial calendars and clear goals and direction
- Manage group resources and deploy staff where most needed
- Develop and implement best practices for workflows
- Develop and implement aftermarket performance content strategy
- Track and report personal/staff/brand performance against KPIs and SMART goals
- Assist Editor and with cover blurbs
- Assist Art Director with magazine layouts
- Assist Digital Production team with online daily content planning and publishing.
- Work closely with MEs and production to ensure staff is meeting 33/66/100 goals and the magazine ships on time
- Set and manage expectations of the staff
- Ensure staff is adequately trained with all tools that are available to them
- Work with sales team to ensure that we are adequately addressing advertiser needs while maintaining editorial integrity
- Review, approve, curate Hot Rod web content
- Review and approve run sheets
- Review and approve covers
- Review and approve bluelines
- Review and approve freelance buyout
- Review and approve staff T&E
- Work closely with GM to ensure budgets are being met
- Assist GM and Editors to plan events
- Assist GM and sales team to sell events
- Coordinate and manage event on-site with Editors
- Oversee event content is consistent with goals
- Assist GM with ensuring contracted deliverables are met
- Review and approve video content
- Work with social media team to ensure appropriate editorial content is being published
- Track and maintain Hot Rod project cars
- Work with sales to ensure pitched/sold programs match content team capabilities
- Work with sales to assist in programs from content standpoint
- Work with advertisers to foster good relationships with Hot Rod and MTG staff
- Work with OEMs on future programs, long-termers, and project vehicles
- Promote group vertical to outside parties interested in partnering on content
- College degree or above in journalism or communications is preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years’ experience writing and editing digital content
- Experience as an editor for a website, magazine, newspaper, trade publication
- Experience with consumer publications is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong background in digital publishing
- Demonstrated ability to develop, motivate and inspire both in house and outside talent
- Attention to detail and great organizational skills.
- Proven talent, experience, leadership and vision.
- Detail-oriented self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Thrive under pressure and meet deadlines consistently
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
*A warning about recruitment scams*
Unscrupulous individuals sometimes pose as MotorTrend Group recruiters and mislead jobseekers into providing sensitive personal information (such as social security numbers) or paying fees as a condition of submitting an application to MotorTrend Group or obtaining a job at MotorTrend Group. These individuals or entities posing as recruiters are not affiliated with MotorTrend Group and do not act on behalf of MotorTrend Group. Always utilize the MotorTrend Group Careers page https://boards.greenhouse.io/motortrendgroup to find available openings and whenever submitting a job application to MotorTrend Group, and know that MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application.