Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
*MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application process*
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Roadkill, Faster with Finnegan, Top Gear America, Motor MythBusters, Kevin Hart’s Muscle Car Crew, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Senior Software Engineer, Android (full-time, salaried, regular) will help develop the next generation of Motor Trend Group’s VOD/OTT mobile and TV applications. This position will be responsible for architecting and implementing scalable, high-traffic mobile apps.
The Sr. Software Engineer will provide input, oversight, and direction for the integration of third party libraries and API’s. This position will consult on overall software architecture and strategy, and enforce standards, best practices, and modern development conventions. This position will work closely with UI/UX and Product teams to deliver the best possible customer experience.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop optimal software solutions for problems of scale.
- Provide input, oversight, and direction for integration of third party software with our existing mobile apps.
- Prototype and pilot new Android software product and initiatives.
- Plan and coordinate various project and software releases.
- Maintain a disciplined approach to testing and quality assurance within a rapid development environment.
- This position will not include supervising one or more employees where applicable.
- BA/BS required, preferably in a Computer Science or Business discipline.
- 4+ years of experience in a software development environment.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience developing high volume, consumer facing Android apps
- Proficient with source code management using GIT, various workflows, and popular branching models
- Experience with TDD/BDD and various unit/integration testing libraries for Android
- Proficient with Kotlin development for Android within Eclipse/Android Studio
- Proficient with Eclipse/Android Studio debugging tools and app optimization
- Proficient with development and troubleshooting across multiple Android SDK versions and devices
- Proficient with translating business requirements into custom UX/UI implementations
- Experience integrating 3rd party API’s, libraries, and frameworks
- Experience with and solid understanding of OOP, MVC, MVP, and popular design patterns
- Experience with application performance optimization using client side caching solutions
- Experience working with REST services
- Experience building software using agile development methodologies, including Scrum
- Experience integrating or using continuous integration tools like Jenkins, Travis CI, or Bamboo
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with, or understanding of Android or Android TV Apps application development
- One or more Android apps currently available in the Google Play Store
- Experience with video, video player, and DRM integration for Android applications
- LinkedIn or GitHub account showcasing your project experience and aptitude for engineering and product sense
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Windows or Mac / IDE / GitHub / Atlassian
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
*A warning about recruitment scams*
Unscrupulous individuals sometimes pose as MotorTrend Group recruiters and mislead jobseekers into providing sensitive personal information (such as social security numbers) or paying fees as a condition of submitting an application to MotorTrend Group or obtaining a job at MotorTrend Group. These individuals or entities posing as recruiters are not affiliated with MotorTrend Group and do not act on behalf of MotorTrend Group. Always utilize the MotorTrend Group Careers page https://boards.greenhouse.io/motortrendgroup to find available openings and whenever submitting a job application to MotorTrend Group, and know that MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application.