Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
*MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application process*
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Senior Editor (full-time, salaried, regular) is an expert in the automotive industry and digital publishing. The Senior Editor will be responsible for creating, editing, ideating, and delivering high quality content for various platforms for MotorTrend and, on occasion, other MotorTrend Group brands. Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Write, ideate, and/or edit automotive news, opinion pieces, features, vehicle reviews, etc. using best practices for SEO and house style, ensuring a high degree of factual and grammatical accuracy
- Travel domestically and internationally to vehicle debuts, new-car launches, auto shows, and other destinations for content creation purposes and to cultivate industry contacts
- Pitch, develop, and execute feature package ideas in addition to assigned content
- Produce content created by themselves and others quickly and with proficiency in a CMS, including photo editing and cropping
- Serve as on-camera talent for MotorTrend Studio editorial video productions
- Support internal events
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
- This position will not directly supervise employees, but will set daily expectations and assignments for junior editorial staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or related field preferred
- 6+ years publishing experience preferred
- Previous experience as an editor in a publishing environment, or equivalent education and experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent writer who can communicate complex issues in lively, clear, and concise prose
- Excellent editor who can make the work of others better
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Able to work quickly and meet short deadlines
- Language skills suitable for a professional publishing position, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation, plus proofreading and copyediting capabilities
- Knowledge of publishing procedures and tools desired, primarily Wordpress
- The ability to sit for prolonged periods of time and view a computer screen
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Photoshop, Wordpress, and other internet-based software and analytics tools
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.
*A warning about recruitment scams*
Unscrupulous individuals sometimes pose as MotorTrend Group recruiters and mislead jobseekers into providing sensitive personal information (such as social security numbers) or paying fees as a condition of submitting an application to MotorTrend Group or obtaining a job at MotorTrend Group. These individuals or entities posing as recruiters are not affiliated with MotorTrend Group and do not act on behalf of MotorTrend Group. Always utilize the MotorTrend Group Careers page https://boards.greenhouse.io/motortrendgroup to find available openings and whenever submitting a job application to MotorTrend Group, and know that MotorTrend Group will never ask for sensitive personal information or fees as part of your application.