Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Associate Editor (full-time, salaried, regular) will research, report, write, and post vehicle-based news, reviews, and feature editorial to the MotorTrend website. Working with an expert team of automotive reviewers and industry watchers, they will quickly deliver engaging, informative, and cleanly written automotive content and ensure a steady cadence of search-optimized editorial reaches the MotorTrend website every day. Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Finding, researching, and writing car-related stories covering the automotive universe and buyer-centric news alike, ensuring a high degree of factual accuracy and grammatical clarity before submitting assigned editorial to senior editors.
- Building stories quickly and with proficiency in MotorTrend’s content management system, sourcing and sizing images and video where appropriate, tagging the editorial properly and deploying search engine optimization (SEO) techniques in your writing to ensure maximum online story visibility.
- Pitching and executing editorial features and news story ideas in addition to executing assigned stories.
- Establishing and maintain automotive industry contacts and relationships with external representatives and use these to cultivate story ideas.
- Some local, national, and international travel may be required.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- This position will not include supervising employees.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Journalism or English disciplines, though Engineering experience could be considered.
- Previous experience in a publishing environment preferred, or equivalent education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- A baseline understanding of the automotive industry and a desire to learn more.
- Ability to communicate complex issues using clear, lively, and concise writing.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to work quickly and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate vehicles with both automatic and manual transmissions with proficiency.
- The ability to sit for prolonged periods of time and view a computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop tools, digital photography, and Wordpress a plus.
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.